Kingdom of thieves - part 6

"You ever think aba leavin" Narla said,

She had been sitting with Trey for a long time, they hadn't spoken.

"Nah not really" Trey said leaning his head back and staring at the stars

"Why, d'you wanna leave."

She shrugged, "not really"

Trey turned to study her in the fading light, "you ever heard of the man who got adopted by a blacksmith", Narla shook her head, "e was snatchin in the workers district an got taken in by some oldy blacksmith, anyway Kris found out an wen over there and-"

"-killed im" Narla finished, Trey shook his head, "nah, e did somethin much worse, e killed the blacksmith who ad taken im in, then e carved a cross inta is ghetto band" Trey lifted his right trouser leg and showed the black tattooed ghetto band that all ghetto dweller received at birth, to set them apart from the rest of the population, and drew a cross over the band with his finger, "t show e wasn't a ghetto dweller no more, he wasn't nobody, he was cast out "

Narla closed her eyes and massaged the bridge of her nose with her index finger and thumb,

"that don't sound to bad" she said quietly, Trey jumped up and bared down on her, " cause it would be bad, you be separated from yer family and all you ever knew" he growled, Narla looker up at him unable to understand why he was so angry,

"I don't got no family"

Trey's anger dissipated he looked sad, "you got me you know" he said sinking back down to the ground.

"Do I?" Narla asked doubtfully, she stood, stretched and went back to the den, leaving Trey alone, the question still hanging between them.