soda pop

I stood behind counter of the small, outdoor hut. It was the same every single day, and the only thing keeping me from dying of boredom was my best friend.

"Hey, hey," she smiled, holding out her hand atop the counter. "Whatcha doing?"

I handed her a bottle of Coca-Cola and returned the contagious grin on her face. "Working, like always. Maybe you should try it sometime, Camila."

She shrugged and popped open the glass bottle. Taking a quick sip, she snapped the string of her bikini top. "I'm going swimming, and you should come with me."

I shook my head and wiped the counter with an old rag. A shorter woman approached the stand and smiled. "Can I get a Sprite and Diet Coke?"

I handed her the drinks and took the money she had placed on the counter before she walked off. I turned back to the short Latina and shook my head again.

"Come on! All you ever do is work at this stupid little stand! We're at the beach, let's go swimming!" she whined, trying to persuade me into going to the water with her, but I was adamant about my choice.

"No, I need to work," I mumbled. "But I'll tell you what, I'll go with you at-" I glanced at the time on my phone, "-3:30."

She grumbled something in Spanish and huffed. "Fine, you're no fun."

I shook my head as I watched her walk off, soon seeing another girl that quickly caught my eye. Her raven locks cascaded down her back and I could only guess what she looked like from the front.

She turned around, waxing her surfboard to help it ride smoother. She was beautiful. There was no denying it.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. With two bottles of soda in my hands, I went to approach her.

I was no more than 10 feet away when I saw some boy walk up to her and embrace her in a hug. I stopped. I quickly turned around and walked back to the stand, hoping she didn't see me shuffle away. I set the bottles back in the fridge and sat down on the stool with my head resting on my palm.

I checked my phone and had the chance to scroll through a few Instagram posts before the lady from earlier came back up to the stand. "Hello, young lady," she greeted, showing off her teeth with a flattering smile. She took a seat on the other side of the counter and just sat there for a while. I was going to turn around to pretend to look busy, but she spoke up. "Were you going to give that girl one of those drinks?"

I took the rag and wiped the table some more, even though there was nothing to wipe. "I think so," I answered curtly.

She laughed a little, then tapped her nails on the countertop. "You think so?"

I nodded.

"You were until you saw that boy, no?" She was very interested for a reason I couldn't explain. I hoped no one saw me try to give the girl that soda.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "I-I mean I guess? I don't know."

She reached over and patted my shoulder reassuringly. "Don't doubt yourself, hun. You seem very nice and you're very beautiful. I can tell you for a fact they're not dating. She's not interested in him. And in all honesty, I think she's more disgusted by him than attracted," she winked.

I cocked an eyebrow and opened my mouth to speak, but she cut me off. She raised her hand, waiting for me to shake it. I firmly shook her hand as she began speaking once again.

"Clara Jauregui," she grinned. "I'm her mother."

I felt the heat rise up in my cheeks, embarrassed by the fact she saw my attempt at an interaction with her daughter. She laughed loudly and smiled again. "No need to be embarrassed! You seem like quite the charmer, if you ask me. I encourage you to go talk to her, 'cause that other boy is getting nowhere. My husband and I won't allow him to."

I felt my nerves start to calm down, my confidence rising. "Thank you, Mrs. Jauregui," I chuckled. "I appreciate the opportunity."

Clara smiled once again. "Of course, go for it," she said before walking off, presumably back to her husband and the rest of her family.

I turned around to grab the sodas, and as I turned back around, I caught sight of the girl smiling at me. "Hey," she giggled. "Can I get two Cokes?"

I sighed, looking between the sodas I had in my hands before hesitantly handing them to her.

Maybe Clara was wrong. Maybe she was interested in that boy. And just because her parents said they can't be together, what's gonna stop them?

"How much will that be?" she asked quietly.

I didn't know why she was asking. The prices were handwritten on the chalkboard behind me.

I shrugged and gave her a small, toothless grin. "On the house."

"Really? Thanks," she said. "Here."

I looked up, seeing her hand out for me to take one of the two sodas. I furrowed my eyebrows, but gladly took the drink from her hand.

"Thank you," I mumbled, a blush evident on my cheeks.

She motioned for me to follow her, which I did without any hesitation. "I'm Lauren Jauregui."

"Y/N Y/L/N," I replied with a lopsided smile.

I looked past Lauren, who was already staring at me, and saw Clara and her husband staring at us with the biggest smiles, yet they didn't even really know me. Strange.

"Thank you," I mouthed.

Clara just winked and her husband waved.

"Okay, Soda Pop, what do you want to do first?"

•••

a/n: based loosely off of a coca-cola commercial :) im not dead

~yours truly