Playing Princess 1.1

Part 1

It was awkward, not having anybody to sit with but I had to admit I was kinda used to it.

The uniformed skirt I wore felt uncomfortably high and the knee-high socks made me feel like I had come out from a Japanese school manga. I avoided many stares that were tossed my way, to the loner who stood with her black lunch tray as she made her way for an empty spot right at the back of the cafeteria, far from everybody else.

"Look away, Astrid, look away," I mumbled to myself and slid into the seat quietly, letting my bag drop under the table.

I pulled at my skirt and felt it catch around my hips, no longer sliding down. I grimaced at how high it seemed to have been tailored and the dark blue blazer I wore felt stiff against my shoulders.

"Hey Astrid."

Glancing up, I shot a small smile to my friend sitting across from me, a paper bag in hand. "Hey Kyle."

"Are you going to enter the local Battle of the Bands this year?" he questioned conversationally and pulled out an egg and ham sandwich, unwrapping it.

"What? Why would I?" I asked in surprise. "You know I don't do that stuff."

"So? Leonard tells me you sound pretty good this year," he replied with a big bite of his lunch. "I think you'll . . . come first if you tried." He swallowed and smiled at me kindly.

I shook my head and laughed nervously. "No way. If I was to enter that thing, I wouldn't have any chance. You know people from Greenwood enter that thing and they've had thousands of dollars worth of tutelage."

Kyle lifted a bushy eyebrow and leaned on the table with his sandwich in one hand. "You do know you happen to attend Greenwood - there's no need for you to refer to it in third person."

Rolling my eyes, I poked at my salad and wrinkled my nose. "I don't like this school, you know that." I sighed. "I have no choice. You should also know that."

"Indeed I do," he agreed with a goofy smile. "I've gone through the entire history curriculum for your class and it turns out there's one big assignment coming right up, probably by next week."

A groan left my lips as I placed my head in my hands. "I hate history. I can't believe my mum put me in that class!"

"She's a socialite and an average historian," Kyle pointed out playfully. "I think there's a little clue there."

I narrowed my eyes at him then groaned again. "What's the assignment, Kyle? Can we partner up?"

"Individual presentation on a royal family from one of the countries of the world," he replied abruptly. "It can be from the past or present. I doubt the future though."

I shot him a pointed look. "History is the past."

"And you mustn't dwell on it!" he concluded with a grin. "Do you want some help? I can point you to some resources but I'm afraid I can't give you the criteria to get high marks."

"I think I'll manage without the latter," I said dryly. "Resources?"

"Library," he said almost instantly and smiled at my sour expression. "If you want something more present, try the magazines. There are a lot of pictures."

"I'm not stupid."

"Says your hair - kidding, kidding!"

Shaking my head, I picked up a piece of crunchy lettuce then dropped it back into the plastic container. "I'm out."