Chapter 16

Max and I were both trying to sneak out of the bathroom without being seen by Mia however this was easier said than done as Mia was just outside "what were you to doing in here, kissing!" she laughed at us hysterically. Then she patted my shoulder "Aphrodite I actually thought you had better taste in guys," you could tell she was drunk but this was totally out of order I mean she'd just left Max feeling really bad about himself.

"Well actually he's much better than that stupid boy you go out with, where is he anywhere with your best friend?" Mia went out with John Blake who apparently was a serial cheater and even though he'd hurt her so many times she would never let him go. After I spoke the crowd went quiet and Mia looked away, her chin was trembling she looked on the verge of bursting into tears after a few teardrops fell she wiped them with her hand pushed me out of the way and ran into the bathroom I shouted back "you have nothing to say now Mia!".

Everyone began to talk again, some were cheering, some felt sorry for Mia and some were even laughing, me and max walked through the path left by the crowd and eventually outside which I then said to him while pointing "Now don't go thinking we're best  buddies because I'm still trying recovering from your stubbornness" I was surprised that Max didn't get mad instead he just laughed "ok Affy we are DEFINITELY not buddies but thanks for sticking up for me, you were really brave" I didn't like it when people praised me so I told him to shut up and then I felt better.

When I arrived home Max wanted to come in but I didn't want him to be best friends with me so I told him to go away, he could just be an acquaintance which was ok.

I went straight to bed after as mum and granny Jane were already sleeping even though it wasn't really late. The next day there was no school so I went to visit Max, (I was only visiting him because there was nothing else to do) on the way I passed by Mia's house she was sitting silently on the porch swing still in her pyjamas, she looked really distraught. After watching her for about a minute I decided to swallow my pride and find out what was bothering her (also I was worried she might tell the teacher that I was horrible to her, and I've never got into trouble with a teacher before).

I walked to the porch and sat beside her "Hi" surprisingly she wasn't horrible to me and also said "hey", she smiled softly and looked at the ground "I don't mean to be nosy, but what's wrong?" a few tears rolled down her cheek so I gave her my white and pink dotty handkerchief "thanks" she spoke tearfully then she sniffled.

We sat for 5 minutes where there was a long awkward silence before I could tell her I had to be somewhere she finally spoke "I...I...I'm pregnant with John" I was about to say something but she carried on "my parents are really strict and I can't believe I told them because now they're going to put the child up for adoption and send me to boarding school from tomorrow" I quickly asked "what about John, I mean doesn't he get a say in this?" she scoffed "Like John cares as soon as I told him he ran off, next thing I know he's with another girlfriend"

Her eyes began to fill with tear she said "I'm sorry I don't feel like talking anymore, please go" she ran inside leaving me on the porch. I didn't know what else to do even though Mia was horrible to me I still felt sorry for her, I guess I wasn't going to Mia ever again, so I really wanted to fill Max in on all this information as I felt he really needed to know.

When I told Max everything he was less sympathetic about it "she deserves it" he said while cleaning his book shelf "you don't feel sorry for her after what she did" then I sighed "I guess" I walked home still thinking about Mia, I was going to tell my mum all about this as I hadn’t spoke to her properly in ages and at times like this I felt you needed your family around. When I arrived I was shocked and not in a good way mum and Sam were holding while granny Jane was taking a photo on her ancient camera hands and what was that what I thought it was an engagement ring on mum’s finger...