I Saw the Light

I opened my eyes afraid to look around at my surroundings, slowly I took a deep breath trying to calm myself. I opened my eyes. I was in my childhood home, my current house where I resided with Rick and my family. Everything was light, decorated the way mum and dad liked it, exactly how we had left it. My attention drifted as I heard something in the kitchen, I slowly made my way to where I had heard someone humming my favorite song. Suddenly, in the living room I heard the record player start playing that same song, I Saw the Light started playing through the house. I glanced into the kitchen where I saw my mother, not even looking like she had aged at all. I walked in slowly, confused at what I was seeing.

"Sweetie!" she exclaimed. "I just made breakfast." She smiled at me as if nothing had changed since childhood. She looked at me suddenly a little aware of my awe of her.

"What's wrong hun? You look like you've seen a ghost." Before I could speak my dad waltzed into the room, a cigarette in his mouth. He took a drag from it as my mum glared at him.

"Howard... You know how I feel about that in the house." She scolded him lightly. He smiled at her taking the cigarette out of his mouth and kissing her on the cheek. He looked to me and said:

"Josephine! How lovely, it's been lonely here." I sat there at the counter bewildered. "Smells wonderful honey." Dad spoke again. I was beyond confused. Mum placed a plate of food in front of me. I looked at it.

"Eggs and bacon, right?" Mum said while she looked at me expectantly. I nodded slowly still processing everything that had happened.

"You're dead." I blurted out. A look of concern crossed her face.

"Yes, we all are." She spoke slowly. Dad turned around to face me drawing his attention to me to explain.

"Honey, this is heaven." He smiled at me. I saw the truth of it in his eyes. I leaned forwards stealing a cigarette out of the breast pocket of his jacket. I raised my eyebrows at him expectantly. I put the cigarette in my mouth for him to light. My mother frowned stealing the cigarette out of my mouth before he could light it.

"After breakfast." She said handing the cigarette back to my dad. I groaned at her mothering. It was like being a child again. I was obviously the rebel of the family, I picked up my fork and began shoveling eggs and bacon into my mouth not realizing how hungry I was.

"So.." She started talking again.

"Rick is a very nice man for you." I just about spat my food back out of my mouth. Looking at her with wide eyes having no idea what to say to her. My dad smirked at her.

"Maybe we should ease into things huh?" He laughed a little handing the cigarette back to me and lighting it as I put it in my mouth. I took a long drag from it and exhaled.

"How'd you meet?" Mom pressed forwards.

"It's a long story. Which you probably already know." I said to her. She smiled at me knowingly. Dad drew the conversation.

"Evelyn and Ardeth. I'm happy they finally got Alex back." He said. I smiled knowing I hadn't died in vain if they finally figured things out. "You took good care of your siblings." He smiled at me, proudly. "Jonathan seems to be a lost cause." He laughed out, rolling his eyes as he moved to the chair next to me.

"He'll figure it out." I breathed out slowly exhaling the smoke.

"Care to dance?" He asked me holding out his hand. I stamped out my cigarette on the ash tray near by and reached to grab his hand as he led me into the living room where the record player was starting to play a different song. My mother followed us sitting down on a chair grabbing a book and reading as my dad waltzed me around the room.

"Am kum Ra, Am kum Dei" I heard Evelyns voice in my ears as I was dancing with my father. I stopped suddenly looking at my surroundings.

"Efey Sakrah Efdey Sakrah..... Amenophus" Alex continued the spell, I gasped the wind coming out of me as I looked at my father.

"Bye love, we'll see you on the other side some other day." He smiled walking over to my mum putting his arm around her back, they both smiled at me. My eyes shut, it was like being pulled through to another dimension.