The Downfall of a Race

Life had become a curse. My family, dead. My friends, dead. The love of my life, dead. After his death I barely moved. Laying on my bed, hair swirled around my head like a crown.

I was alone.

Wearing my hoodie, army green shorts, and my combat boots, I lugged myself out of the house, down the street. I marched into yet another house in search of food. Going through countless cabinets, in search of any kind of food. The majority of the canned food had been eaten or hoarded away by other survivors.

I haven't eaten for weeks. My stomach screams with every step I take.

My eyes are sunken in and dark. I had always been skinny, but now my bones jutted out and my stomach caved in.

My fingernails were an unhealthy blue, my hair thinning.

I look like a changed person;

a zombie of myself.

I feel so alone.

I haven't seen another living thing since Jack's death.

Jack. I miss him. He was the sun to my moon.

You never realize what you have until it's gone.

My father may be alive somewhere, but that's unlikely. Sometimes I like to believe that there is someone else out there. Working to solve our current crisis. A race of Bee Keepers, working together to repopulate the bee species,all living together in a little village, wearing white, and only thinking of the greater good.

Maybe the world will fix itself.

I lay in my bed my eyelids getting heavier and heavier.

Eventually, I give in to the the creeping monster in my stomach.

They say when you die your life flashes before your eyes.

I guess I can confirm that.

I saw everything from the first time I rode a bike, to graduating high school, and even getting accepted in the college of my dreams.

At the end of memory lane, there was a light. In that light, my mother stood with Jack, hand in hand, waving at me from the other side.

With a sigh I joined them, and never looked back.

But, surprisingly, I never saw my father again.

He was just, gone.