Chapter Twenty-Eight

            The next morning when Preston woke up, he found himself alone. He could hear sounds coming from the kitchen. He got up, put on a robe and headed towards the kitchen. When he walked in, he found Robert preparing the turkey and ham, along with other things spread out on the counter. When Preston looked at the clock on the wall, he saw it was six o’clock in the morning. It had only been four hours since they went to bed, he couldn’t understand how Robert could have so much energy on so little sleep.

            “What are you doing up so early?” Robert asked when he saw Preston.

            “I could ask you the same thing.” Preston moved closer to see what Robert was doing.

            “Well this thanksgiving dinner isn’t going to cook itself now. So like I said why are you up so early?” Robert finished rubbing the turkey with his spice mixture. Preston picked up the bowl with the spices and smelled it, his mouth started to water; he could only image how delicious it was going to make the turkey.

            “God this smells good what’s in it, and I am only up because somebody was making too much noise.”

            “Sorry about that I was trying to be as quiet as possible, and I can’t tell you what’s in it, because it is an old family secret recipe.” Robert looked at Preston, he looked tried. “Why don’t you go back to bed, I think I can manage to be quiet now.”

            “No if you’re going to stay up, then I’m going to stay up with you and help you prepare everything.”

            “No you look tried, go get some more sleep. I don’t need you falling asleep during the day. Besides I’m almost done.”

            “Then let me help so you can finish faster and you can come back to bed with me. How long have you been up I know you couldn’t have gotten no more than four hours of sleep.”

            “You’re not going back to bed without me are you?”

            “Nope, either you join me or I’m staying here with you.”

            “Fine you help me with the stuffing and then we can go back to bed.”

            “Ok” Robert handed Preston everything he needed and told him what to do. They went back to bed when everything was done; it was seven that gave them two hours more of sleep. Robert waited until he was sure Preston fell asleep, before he got out of the bed. He went back into the kitchen to finish what he was doing.

            It was almost nine when Preston woke up to the smell of cinnamon rolls and coffee. Which meant Robert wasn’t in bed with him and he must have got out as soon as he fell asleep. Preston put on some sweatpants and went to the kitchen; he could hear Robert talking to someone. When Preston walked in the kitchen, he saw it was Tanya and Nora. Robert was the first one to see him.