Chapter Twenty-Seven

Twenty-Seven

            It had been a week since Robert told Preston he loved him. Every moment with Robert was amazing and Preston had never felt this happy in his whole life. It was the day before thanksgiving, Robert and Preston decided to stay instead of going home.  Robert invited his mom and Sister Nora over for Thanksgiving. Robert wanted Preston to meet his mom and sister. He told them that he was gay and was in love with Preston. To them it didn’t matter that he was in love with a boy, just as long as he was happy. Preston wondered if Robert was ever going to tell his dad or his other sister. He rarely talked about them and it made Preston think Robert’s relationship between them wasn’t very good. Preston hadn’t told his family about Robert yet, he feared what they might say about him dating his cousin’s ex-boyfriend. Ann Marie was not happy about Preston staying with Robert, but if she was to find out they were dating she was going to be beyond mad. Nobody ever wants to hear or see their ex with one of their own family member. Not only was that going to be a slap in the face, but to find out Preston was the one Robert had feelings for was even worse. Preston told Robert about how he was worried what Ann Marie was going to say when she found out about them. Robert told him to stop worrying about it, when the time came they will handle it together.

             Robert went to pick up his mom, sister and his sister’s boyfriend from the airport while Preston and Vera were getting the last items they needed for Thanksgiving dinner. Preston was sad that he didn’t go home for thanksgiving, he knew his mom was upset, but he couldn’t face being around his dad or Ann Marie right now. He did promise to be home for Christmas.

“Hey do you think this turkey is big enough for everyone?” Vera said as she held up a large turkey.

            “Um I think so, beside there will also been ham and other things to eat. That reminds me, I need to get the pineapples and cherries for the ham.”

            “So you must be bummed that you’re not going home for thanksgiving?”

            “I was at first but then I realized it was probably best I didn’t; my dad still isn’t talking to me. Then of course Ann Marie doesn’t know about me and Robert.  I think Ann Marie would figure it out about me and Robert dating if I went home.”

            “Oh that’s right she doesn’t know yet, she is going to flip her lid when she finds out.”

            “You’re telling me, I don’t know how I’m going to tell her, she is going to hate me.”

            “Maybe but I think she will get over it with time.”

            “I hope so. Hey, do mind if I ask you something?”

            “Well it depends on what it is?”

            “How is Robert’s relationship with his father?”

            “That is something you’re going to have to ask Robert?”

            “What you don’t know how close they are?”

            “I do know and they are not close at all, but if you want to know more details you’ll to have to ask him.”

            “Um ok I’ll ask him,” Preston placed the last item they needed in the cart and made his way to the checkout.

            “Hey don’t worry, if you ask him he will tell you, he just doesn’t like to talk about his dad.”     

            “Ok I know, come on lets pay for this and get out of here. Robert should already be home with his family.”