My Best Friend's Brother (Fili)

Start from the beginning

~*~PRESENT TIME
(10 YEARS LATER)~*~

You bit your lip nervously as you trekked the winding pathway that you had once used to travel to Ered Luin all those years ago. Your father had trained with you for those 10 years, teaching you valuable battle skills and techniques. He had finally announced the night before your journey here that you were ready to face the world, and all it might throw at you.

You were proud of yourself, but also quite relieved and excited. You got to return home to your friends, Fili and Kili!

Well, Kili. As we mentioned earlier, Fili was something special to you.

>>>three hours later, at Dís's house in the Blue Mountains<<<

You took a deep breath and knocked on the heavy wooden door in a special rhythm that you and Kili had come up with when you were wee things, as a sort of code to each other.

Knock knock knock-knock knock! Knock knock!

You heard a shout come from inside the small cottage, and in but a moment the door swung open, revealing an excited Kili.

He shouted and laughed with glee, pulling you into a fierce hug, picking you up and spinning in circles as well. You shrieked and giggled, and eventually he set you down. After a plethora of questions, some of which still needed answering, Kili led you inside the house.

It looked the same as it always had been. Just the tiniest bit messy, but in a comforting way. The kind of mess that shows that someone lives there, and has children, but is not overwhelmed. They leave things out of place because they know if they put it back, there will be no finding it again.

"Where is Dís?" you asked Kili informally, shrugging off your bulky coat and handing it to the dark-haired dwarf.

Kili took your coat and hung it up on a sturdy wooden peg on the wall near the door. "She is at the market. She'll be more than happy to come home to see you!" he added and grinned.

You smiled back, and asked one more question. "Where's Fili?"

Kili's mirthful grin turned into a mischievous smirk. "He is here, in his bedroom," he answered slyly. "I will fetch him for you." Before you could protest, he ran off down the hall, so you shrugged helplessly and sat on the plush sofa.

Not a minute later, Fili came walking briskly down the hall and to the seating room where you were waiting. "(Y/n)!" he nearly shouted excitedly.

You smiled and stood to greet him, only to see his eyes wide and his jaw slack. For the life of you, you couldn't figure out why. "What are you staring at?" you asked uneasily.

Fili shook his head, a slight blush settling onto his bearded cheeks. "Nothing..it's nothing."

Suddenly, it clicked. A lot had happened in the 10 years you'd been gone. Not just within the realm of training for battle, but physically as well. Your figure had grown to be much more pronounced and womanly, your hips wider and bust larger, plus you had grown a few inches taller (though you doubted you would ever reach Fili's height).

"So, (y/n)," Fili continued awkwardly, "how was training?"

"It was good," you nodded and kicked at nothing on the floor. Then you felt it. A gnawing in your stomach. You should tell him now of your feelings, so that if he rejected you, you had time to leave and cry before his mother returned. You steeled your nerves and looked the blond prince in the eyes.

"Fili, I have something I must say, even if I regret it later," you spoke up.

Fili looked concerned, but lowered his head just a bit, indicating for you to continue.

"I...I love you, Fili. I do believe you are my One. And I am terribly afraid to admit that, since you do not feel the same way, and-"

"What makes you think I do not feel the same way about you, my ghivashel?" Fili interrupted. You stared at him with the face of a fish gasping for air...er...water.

"You...you love me?" you whispered incredulously.

Fili smiled warmly and held his arms out, asking for a hug. You gladly obliged, and as you rested your chin on his shoulder, he whispered into your ear, as he had those dreadfully long 10 years ago, "Yes, yes I do, amrâlimê."