Chapter 14

"Aaaand... there! Ta-da! How's it look?"

Red leaned back into the snowdrift he was resting against. Sans waved his hands at the snowman he'd made- it looked just like him, honestly.

"It looks like you. So... it's kinda perfect."

Sans flushed blue and plopped himself down beside Red. He affectionately punched his arm before snuggling up next to him with a contented huff.

The months had passed more peacefully than Red had ever remembered months passing. He leaned into Sans and swooped an arm around his hip to pull him even closer. He'd started therapy five months ago- he only went once every week now, and he hadn't cut in almost that whole time.

He leaned his skull down and kissed Blue's teeth. The shorter skeleton giggled and kissed him back, pulling his face a little closer. It was good. Red wasn't used to things being so good- he half expected something bad to happen to ruin everything, but it didn't. Only more good things- maybe a few minor setbacks, but overall he was... he was happy. He grinned idly down at Blue, who noticed and gave him a coy smile.

"What are you grinning about?" he asked with a soft boop between his sockets. They weren't far off of the main road that led to the Ruins, but it was a quiet Saturday afternoon, so they kept their voices down for fear of disturbing the peace.

"I dunno. Do I need a reason?" Red asked before planting another little kiss on the side of his skull.

"Mm... I guess not," Sans replied before he kissed Red back.

They sat against each other for a while. It was nice and quiet and peaceful, and Red thought he might just be able to fall asleep before he felt a shadow fall over them and he opened his eyes to see a strange monster looming over them.

"Bwahaha! The look on your face!" came a familiar voice. Red calmed his rapid breathing and glared up at Alphys, who, even while standing, hardly had the height advantage.

"Al!" Blueberry scolded, but he didn't look scared in the least. "I told you not to sneak up on us like that."

The lizard leaned forward onto her battle axe, still chuckling to herself. "Ah, sorry Sansy... it's just so much fun."

Blue hauled himself to his feet, dusting the snow off his rear before reaching down and helping Red up as well. Alphys was... abrasive, to put it nicely. Red liked her enough, though, she was always boisterous and loud and she knew how to party.

"What were you two lovebirds up to?" She asked, wagging her eyebrows at first Sans and then Red. Of course, Alphys and Undyne had been told the truth about Red and his father's origins to avoid confusion, but they didn't have many other close friends to come clean to. They were probably still under the assumption he was their cousin from New Home- which made things a little incestuous, but... Red was technically dating himself, so...

"We were having a peaceful Saturday out before you came along and tore it to pieces," Sans responded, helping Red dust the snow off of himself.

Alphys snickered. "Aw, c'mon Sans... I'm just havin' some fun, ya big grump."

"I am not a grump!"

"Yer kinda bein' a grump," Red said with a smile. Alphys whooped a little and high fived him.

"This guy gets it."

"Well this guy is gonna get no kisses if he doesn't shape up," Sans said with what must've been his most threatening glare. Red just grinned.

Alphys smiled idly, her scarred snout and sharp little teeth quite the contrast to her always-pleasant personality. She hefted her battle axe back over her shoulder and adjusted her armor.

"I actually came 'round to find ya for a reason," she said. "Undyne just told me Pap is gonna go back to the labs and work with her and G, yeah?"

"That's the plan," Sans said. "It's been so long since he's applied himself... you know he loves science."

Alphys smiled. "Hell yeah I do, the guys smart as fuck when he isn't watching "memes" or whatever."

"Dank memes," Red corrected. Al used the butt end of her axe to poke his shoulder.

"Yeah yeah, whatever. Point is, I'm down one member of the Snowdin sentry squad if he takes the job, so I need to find a prospective replacement."

"Oh! Did you want our help, or-"

"I want Red to join," she said, giving him a wink.

Red stared at her for a moment before he shook himself. "Me?"

"Yeah, you! I've never met somebody with as good a handle on their magic as you got on yours, and with you skeletons and your bone dog anime girl transformation thing, I couldn't think of a better candidate. I got some of the dogs wanting more hours, so it'll only be part time, but the pay's pretty good and you can keep your job at Muffet's. Waddaya say?"

"I... yes?" Red said, a little taken aback. Of course he knew the pay was good, he saw how much Sans and Pap made compared to the meager portion he got from Muff.

"You gotta be 100% sure- I know the job seems easy, but sentries are our first line of defense- if a human comes through you'll be the first to know if you take Pap's spot. There's a bit of mandatory training required, but that shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks at most, then you can start!" Alphys grinned and looked between the two of them. "And you two'll be right near each other, so you can kiss and hold hands and all that sappy stuff during your breaks."

"Alphys! You and Undyne do that, too," Sans said.

Alphys brushed him aside with a wave of her claws and held out her hand to Red. "Is it still a yes?"

"Yeah- fuck yeah, of course it is, thank you," Red said immediately, moving maybe a little too quickly to take her hand. Alphys hissed out a laugh at the response but shook it firmly, letting go only to pat his shoulder.

"No prob, Bob. Of course, all your pays are gonna look shitty compared to Gaster, Undyne's already settin' up to make him the Assistant Royal Scientist- they've just gotta meet with the Queen in a week or two to make it official. I think havin' somebody more timid than she is makes her work harder..." She paused to rub her chin and smile before snapping herself out of it. "But yeah! Welcome aboard, Mr. Red," Alphys said with another toothy grin.

"That's... that's so great!" Sans said, turning to Red and grabbing both of his hands. "We'll get to work together!"

Red grinned at him for just a second before Sans swooped in for a kiss, nuzzling him a little in the process. Red blushed.

"Alright, alright, lets keep it PG, we're still in public," Alphys said.

Red laughed, still a little shocked at the sudden proposal, but not at all unhappy about it.

Things were good.