Reynolds Pamphlet

Phillip was now 18 and was one of the best students in the class at Kings College! We were walking downtown and Philip of course trying to get the ladies.

Philip went over to one lady, "The name's Philip want to meet later?"

The girl blushed, "Okay!"

I gave Philip a pat on the back, "That's my man."

I looked around seeing everyone huddled around a newspaper. Philip looked at me confused, "What's going on?" He said.

He was walking over to the newspaper than a familiar face showed up, Thomas Jefferson. "Well, well Philip Hamilton. Haven't you heard the news of your fathers torrid affair?"

Philip looked confused, "What? My father had no affair?"

Thomas looked around, "Yeah he did, read." Thomas pulled out the newspaper everyone was looking at.

I looked at it and was horrified, it read; "The charge against me is a connection with one James Reynolds. For purposes of improper speculation, my real crime is an amorous connection with his wife, for a considerable amount of time. With his knowing consent. I had frequent meetings with her, most of them at my own house. Mrs. Hamilton and our children being absent with a visit to her father."

Thomas Jefferson left the area and his face turned around, "Before you go Philip, tell Alex that it was his fault."

I turned around to see Philip staring into nowhere with a tear trickling down his cheek. That's it! I ran over to Thomas and punched him in the face but my hand went through.

"Stop, it's not his fault." I heard a crying Philip tell me. I turned around and he was walking home.

My only thought was 'Alex, what did you do?' I ran over to Philip, "Maybe he didn't have the affair. Maybe that Thomas Jefferson made up the whole thing to hurt you, I mean Thomas and your father are political rivals."

Philip sighed, "Stop lying to me, I know the truth." My heart broke into pieces and so did Philips.

Once we got to the house Philip closed the door and just stood there looking like he sobbed for hours.

Alex came rushing into the door, "Philip, there you are! You know I love your mother."

Philip still stood there, "I now know you love Maria Reynolds."

Alex shook his head furiously, "No, no I don't love her like I love your mother."

Philip sighed, "Yeah, well you sure do have a way of showing that." Philip opened the door and Alex touched his shoulder to pull him back. "Don't touch me!" Philip sighed, "I'm going to find mother and check to see how she's doing. One more thing, this was your fault."