Part 4

Your boys check up on me every day. They really are great lads. I can see why you love them so much. Are you mad that I don't reply? I hope they aren't. They still message me. Yeah, you're right. I really should acknowledge them.

            You remember Kat? I'm sure you do. She's just being so difficult lately treating me like a baby and all. I wouldn't even let you do that! Haha But her brother! I am so glad he is gone to school now. He's such a douche. He's the one that got us in that pickle that one time and almost got us killed!.....

             I was so scared. No offence, but you didn't offer much reassurance at the time. At fifteen your muscles were still so puny! Wow. And you looked scared as a cat when he grabbed us, though you did try and hide it for me. That helped a little.

            Her brother, Daniel, told us to meet him at this place down in the sketchy part of town for some party. We definitely got stares, and I even got a few wolf whistles - which I don't understand seeing as I looked like a potato-. We still weren't quite on speaking terms, but when we passed by that crowd smoking something that deffinately wasn't bought in a store, you grabbed my hand and held it tight.

            "I shouldn't have lied," I blurted.

            "You lied?" Those were the first words you actually spoke to me in almost a year. So touching. It's like something from a romance novel, huh?

            "Maybe. Mom and Dad would never have let me come down here at night."

            "Well that was stupid."

            "And your parents just let you come here?"

            "Well, they're out of town."

            "And that's better than lying, how?"

            "He knows some good musicians, okay? Maybe I could meet some guys I could play with. What's your reason to go?"

            "He has some pretty hot friends."

            "This is not how I imagined our first conversation," you said, staring ahead.

            "Same here, turd monkey." I crossed my arms, removing my hand from yours, and pursed my lips into a straight line.

            After a moment, that laugh I had secretly missed so much began softly next to me. Soon it was ringing out into the dark alleys, and I couldn't help but laugh as well, joining it. Now we got stares for a totally different reason, as if our childish laughter was ruining the vibe they all had going. I'm pretty sure your pony shirt had already achieved that, though.

            It's weird that just like that we were back to normal. I guess it's not that odd considering your laugh could literally cure me of cancer. You were holding my hand again, this time your grip gentler yet more possessive. Though you didn't say anything, I could tell you noticed the inappropriate looks and gestures following us, and you didn't like it.

            "Hey, sexy," a girl cooed as we passed by a doorway she stood under. "I could do so much better than her," she pouted, brushing your shoulder.

            Your muscles tightened, and you ducked your head, trying to hide the blush creeping up your neck as you pressed farther down the sidewalk. When I still stared agape at the girl, your handhold jeked me along as you continued on dragging me with you.