Epilogue - Our Happy Ever After

Start from the beginning

My phone vibrates in my hand as I think about this, and I smile when a message from Aaron pops up on the screen. He explains to me that he’ll be here in a few minutes and he signs off with a line of X’s as usual. I smile to myself and shove my phone into my pocket.

I remain on the couch awaiting his arrival. I am dressed in a pink set of pyjamas and a pair of slippers that have been made to look like giant monster feet, with brown fur and comically large, pointy toenails. My hair is tied up in a lazy bun to keep it out of my face. Normally the thought of a boy coming to my house whilst I look like this would make me lose my mind, especially considering how much I like Aaron. However for some reason, I am completely comfortable with him seeing me like this, he has seen me look a lot worse after all!

When he knocks on the door, I welcome him with a quick peck on the cheek and invite him inside. Although the clothes he wears are less revealing than those we were given on the island, I still remember what he looks like beneath his casual hoody and grey sweatpants. On his back is a red bag which contains his laptop, which we need as my computer is far too outdated to take the USB Martin gave us.

‘’Come on in, dad and Martin are in the kitchen,’’ I explain and I lead the way towards them.

Despite how many times I have told him that he has my father’s approval, Aaron is still cautious around him, and follows behind warily. When we enter the kitchen, he is greeted warmly by them.

‘’Hello Aaron,’’ smiles Martin.

My father nods his head to greet him, ‘’would you like a cup of tea?’’

‘’Hi Marty. Oh no thanks Mr Embleton, I’m grand,’’ he replies politely.

‘’For the last time Aaron, call me Nathan,’’ laughs my father.

‘’Sorry, Nathan,’’ corrects Aaron, sounding embarrassed.

After a few minutes of small talk, I take Aaron’s hand and lead him back through the hall towards the stairs. As we pass the sitting room however, I hear a sentence from the news that catches my attention. I pause momentarily and listen carefully.

‘’Dad, Martin! Get in here!’’ I yell and take a seat with Aaron in front of the television.

On the screen before us is a clip from what seems to be a press conference. Standing at a podium is a rather slick looking man in a suit, although his face looks familiar I cannot place who he is. On either side of him stand two men dressed in lab-coats. My father and Martin enter the room and stand watching the television. On the top of the screen, the words ‘Cancer Cure?’ are written.

The man steps up to the podium, and a blue translucent bar appears on the bottom of the screen which displays this man’s name and occupation. It is when I read it that I recognise where I know him from, ‘’Marcus Haddlington – Owner of worldwide Haddlington Hotel chain’’.

‘’He’s the billionaire that funded it,’’ whispers Aaron quietly as he releases it too.

‘’That bastard,’’ mutters my father furiously, staring at the television.

‘’Good evening ladies and gentlemen,’’ begins Marcus, ‘’you are all here today because history has been made. I, along with a team of hard-working, dedicated and persistent scientists are confident that we have discovered a universal cure for cancer.’’

As the man says this, the room erupts into inquisitive questions as everyone wants to know everything about this acclaimed cure. None of the questions are audible, because everyone in the room just seems to be screaming their own queries on the subject. The man raises his hands and after a few moments, the room quietens.