Chapter Seven - A Familiar Face

We start the day moving quite quickly; Aaron and I take the front, Kate and the quiet kid follow close behind and Eve brings up the rear. We move at a quick pace, jogging in a tight-knit group and keeping close to the trees so we are not in open view. None of us speak about what we are going to do when and if we catch someone. None of us want to face up to the reality of it all. I guess only time will tell, we will find out in the heat of the moment.

Aaron doesn’t speak as we move alongside each other. I can tell he is nervous. Nervous, not scared. Does he have it in him to torture someone? Enough to have them begging for death. That’s basically what it is. Torture until they give in their letter, which leads to their death. It’s a lose, lose situation once you are caught. Death is guaranteed. Unavoidable.

‘’How are we going to do this exactly? Asks Kate as we move, ‘’do we just run in and attack?’’

‘’I haven’t really thought that far ahead yet,’’ admits Aaron, ‘’I’m hoping an opportunity will just present itself to us.’’

‘’What? So we’re just going to go looking for them without a plan of action?’’ asks Eve obnoxiously, ‘’that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard!’’

‘’Do you have any better ideas?’’ I question, turning to her and snapping at her.

She actually jumps back in shock. She doesn’t respond.

‘’Thought so.’’

We continue on for another ten or fifteen minutes, and I slowly fall back from Aaron and fall into step with Kate. I can’t take the silence of walking with Aaron. I need to talk. I need to occupy my mind with something.

‘’Sleep well?’’ I ask, trying to kick off the conversation.

‘’Bad dreams,’’ she sighs.

‘’Oh?’’

‘’Yeah,’’ she replies, then her voice drops to a whisper, ‘’I think it was a memory.’’

I don’t mention my dream – or nightmare rather – to her yet. I have to make sure that what she is saying means what I think it does so as I don’t come across as crazy.

‘’I dreamt about being abducted. But it felt so real. It had to be a memory,’’ she continues.

I stare at her wide eyed for a moment.

‘’What?’’ she questions after a few seconds when I stay silent and simply stare at her.

‘’I had a similar one,’’ I explain, ‘’it was definitely a flashback.’’

‘’Really?’’ she asks, ‘’what do you think they mean?’’

‘’Well I’m sure we weren’t brought here voluntarily. It was abduction,’’ I begin, she nods her head as I speak, ‘’they lied to us in the letters.’’

‘’They brought us here for a death match,’’ she adds, hearing it aloud really makes the fact hit home, ‘’this isn’t a game show.’’

‘’There’s no money. We’re not fighting for a prize. We’re fighting for a lives.’’

We walk on in silence for quite some time. I don’t like being left alone with my thoughts. My overly acted and quite pessimistic imagination runs through endless scenarios with me – none very appealing and all ending with my death.

‘’Where were you then?’’ I ask.

‘’Huh?’’ she asks in confusion.

‘’When you were taken,’’ I say, rephrasing slightly.