Chapter 17. A Normal Life Again?

Annie's POV

Ever since we found out my cancer had jumped a stage, I've been in the hospital constantly getting chemo, which sucks.

It also sucks that my birthday is in about two weeks, which means there's only two weeks left for Hayley, Mom, and I in Maryland...

Everyday I've been slowly regaining my memories, starting with some small fragments of times with my friends and who I am friends with. I even remembered this girl Liv, but when I mentioned her to Mom, she said we weren't friends anymore over an incident about Caleb.

I also started remembering bits and pieces of Brennan I, but nothing about our relationship.

Anyway, one day in the hospital, Mom and I were alone in my room together.

She had just arrived from work and was sitting in a chair on the other side of the room chatting with Mr. Jimmy and other people about business. Apparently in California, Mom is going to try to get Hayley and I into acting and modeling and such.

But with the news I got from the doctors that day, those dreams seemed to be going down the drain.

On that day, I heard a knock at my door. "Hello?" My doctor asked.

"Come in!" Mom said as she opened the door.

My doctor came in and had her nurse check my vitals and such and my doctor checked my bag of chemo.

"It's almost empty," she frowned. "I unfortunately have to replace it."

I mentally frowned as well. Chemo made me feel awful and gross, and I hated it, so I didn't want more.

But if I wanted to live, I would have to deal with it.

Once the nurse and doctor finished discussing my current health, my doctor cleared her throat.

"Annie, Ms. LeBlanc," my doctor addressed. "There is something I would like to discuss with you two about.

"We have recently been noticing Annie's decreasing health, and it's not looking so good. Her cancer is spreading further through her leg, and if we don't stop it, it could spread in other places in her body."

"Could we have another surgery?" Mom asked. "To, you know, remove the tumor and cancer cells?"

"I'm afraid that's not possible, due to the many cells her cancer is producing." The doctor explained. "That subject sort of ties into what I want to address to you about next.

"We, and by we I mean many doctors all over the country, have discussed about Annie's condition. We have all agreed that we believe the best option for Annie's current health is to amputate her leg."

I felt my eyes grow wide. They want to cut off my leg?

"I know, that is a lot to handle right now," the doctor continued. "But her cells are so out of control that the chemo is having a hard time controlling it, which is why her stage two went to a stage three.

"If you amputate the leg, you won't have to worry about the cells spreading, and as you may know, there are many prosthetic legs she can use.

"Fortunately, if you did go with that option, her cells are in places where if she did get a prosthetic leg, she could use it just like a normal leg, and she may be able to start gymnastics again."

I felt my mood suddenly increase after that; if I get my leg cut off, I could do what I love again? I could have...a normal life again?

"So you're saying if we amputate the leg, Annie could go back to a normal life?" Mom asked.