Chapter 3. Star-Crossed Lovers

Annie's POV

I've been in the hospital now for four days.

But before I say exactly why, let me rewind back to the day I got my head shaved and we were heading to the ER.

Mom had quickly pulled in and grabbed a wheelchair from the trunk (we take it with us in case I can't walk) and Brennan carried me out of the car into it.

Once I got checked in, they took lots of tests and a few x-rays of my leg before giving me a diagnosis.

Unfortunately, my diagnosis was that the tumor in my left leg was growing.

They said I may need surgery for it, but they're going to give me more chemo to see how it reacts first.

As I was being wheeled into my new room, Brennan and Mom were right behind me and looking nervous.

"I'll be okay." I said weakly to them.

Brennan smiled weakly and held my hand. "I know you will." Then, I fell asleep from some painkillers I had.

•••

"Annie?" I was being gently shaken awake by Hayley.

"Hayley, I didn't know you were here." I said as I gave her a hug.

She smiled. "Yeah, Mom got me out early from school so I could see you."

"Thanks. So what's up?" I asked as I slowly sat up in my bed.

"Um, Dad called a few minutes ago." Hayley said quietly.

"Oh." Ever since the divorce, I started to despise my father a bit. We used to be so close, especially after Caleb passed we got closer.

But after he divorced Mom, I didn't understand at first. And since he went through with it and it was his idea, I got angry with him. I still remember the fight.

It was a rainy Sunday afternoon. I was sitting at my desk doing some editing of one of makeup tutorials for my channel when Dad knocked on the door.

I turned around and smiled at him before taking off my headphones. "Hey."

"Hey, can we talk for a few minutes?" Dad asked as he closed the door.

"Okay." I replied as we both sat on my bed. "What's up?"

Dad sighed before looking me right in the eyes, and I could tell they were full of sadness. "Annie, your mother and I are getting a divorce."

At first, I thought it was some cruel joke, probably every eleven year old at a time like that would.

"W-what? Are you serious?" I asked in shock.

He nodded slowly.

That's when I felt my eyes start to water, and my bottom lip quivered.

"Annie, please don't cry." Dad placed his thumb under my eye and was about to wipe away my tear before I moved away.

"Annie, please, let me explain—"

"Are you trying to make everything harder for me?" I asked.

"I would never—"