Chapter 13. Operation: Memory

Brennan's POV

I've been crying a lot lately, which is something I didn't really want to talk about.

It just frustrates me how Annie can't remember anything; how can her health just betray her like that? Make her forget 8 years of her life?

It sucked, because I just wanted to hug her and kiss her, but she doesn't remember anything about us.

And that was when my 2 AM plan was formed.

I grabbed a notebook and began writing down everything I would do to help bring Annie's memories back, and I called it Operation: Memory.

Hopefully this'll work.

•••

Unfortunately, my plan started backfiring immediately.

I got busy the past few days with water polo and haven't had any time to see Annie. And then I was free, and she and her family traveled to LA for a vacation.

I guess Operation: Memory is going to have to wait.

•••

Annie's POV

This was exciting, we (my mom, Hayley, and I) were going to LA!

I don't remember going, so I was pretty excited.

Hayley helped me pack some things for the trip and we left early Monday morning.

When we got on the plane, I suddenly felt really nervous. It must have been a usual thing, because Hayley quickly grabbed my hand as we lifted off.

"Thanks, Hay." I said with a smile once we were settled in the air.

"No problem. You've always been a bit scared of planes." Hayley replied before putting on her headphones and turning on her iPad.

I took a nap on the plane and awoke a few hours later once we landed in LA.

Mom got us a rental car and drove us over to our hotel, which was pretty nice.

"Hey, girls, wanna go to the pool?" Mom asked once we arrived at the hotel.

"Yes!" Hayley and I exclaimed.

"Alright, get changed, we'll leave in ten." Mom said.

I quickly changed into my blue bathing suit and Hayley changed into a pink one. Once we made sure we had all our stuff (and sunscreen on of course), we headed out to the pool.

Mom stayed in a chair reading a magazine as Hayley swam in the pool and met some other girls her age. I just sat on the edge of the pool and let my legs dangle in the water.

"Hey," I looked up to see a boy around my age sit next to me. He had brown hair that kind spiked up on his head and he had soft brown eyes. He was kind of cute.

"Um, hi. Do I know you..?" I asked politely as he sat next to me.

He shook his head. "No, but our parents wanted us to meet." He laughed and stuck out his hand. "I'm Hayden Summerall."