o n e

Little heads up, when words are Italicized that means that someone is using Sign Language, not speaking. Just wanted to put that out there.

+

"Max, come."

Max ran towards Miles, falling in step with her. Miles was out exploring, one of her many habits. It's boring at camp when no one tried to communicate.

The woods always felt like a safe haven for Miles. Yes, it was more dangerous to be out there with walkers but for some reason she felt at peace. All Miles had to worry about was her and her dog, Max. It was always them two for years and even in a time like this, it's still is.

The sun was scorching hot and even in the shaded woods Miles felt the burn of the rays. The scenery in the woods was much alive but the fallen leaves crunched under Miles's boots. Miles loved that feeling of the leaves under her boots. Though she's Deaf, she can somehow feel how the leaves would sound.

It's been about a month, more or less, since the outbreak and every day got harder. Miles and the group thought the government would have gotten everything in control and somewhat back to normal. But now, Miles doesn't know what to think. All she knows is that she has to survive, and despite her being Deaf, Miles believes she can.

Miles and Max came to a stop. There was a beautiful, clear river in the way of the straight path they were on. Miles had a bright smile on her face. She took her boots and socks off and slowly walked into the cool water. Halfway in, Miles decided to roll her jeans up to keep the water from getting it wet. She turned to look at her dog who just stayed sitting at the edge of the river.

"Come. Swim."

Max's eyes showed hesitation but soon enough he walked into the river to stand next to Miles.

"Good boy."

About five minutes of enjoying the cool water, Max got into a protective stance in front of Miles. His fur going up, letting Miles know that someone was near.

Miles looked around slowly, making sure whatever motion she did would not make a sound to attract the living or the dead. After a while, she decided that there was no one or nothing there. Max, on the other hand, continued his defensive stance. This made Miles worried. She couldn't see anyone, even with Max pointing in the direction of the sound.

Suddenly, Max took off running, left of where his stance was, and jumped on top of a tall male figure. Miles knew exactly who Max tackled due to seeing a crossbow on the ground, next to the figure.

"Damn dog. Get off me," Daryl grumbled. Max did this every time he saw Daryl. Max took to affection upon Daryl the first time he came to camp. Miles nor Daryl knew the reason why.

Miles smiled widely. Daryl Dixon was the only one at camp who treated her like a normal person. He didn't care about her being Deaf, he wanted her to toughen up and learn how to survive on her own.

Once Max decided to calm down, Daryl picked his crossbow back up and gave Miles a crazy look.

"The hell ya' think you're doin' out here alone?"

Miles squinted her eyes. Daryl was too far away for her to read his lips. She shook her head and moved her hand in a motion that asked him to repeat.

Daryl sighed and walked closer to her. "Why ya' here alone?" He asked her again.

Miles shrugged her shoulders. "I wanted to," she tried to use basic signs for him to understand.

"You... wanted to?" Daryl asked, making sure he understood what she was telling him.