Extra #1~ Waiting is the Most Difficult Bit

"I've learned that waiting is the most difficult bit, and I want to get used to the feeling, knowing that you're with me, even when you're not by my side."

~ Paulo Coelho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Woman Reports Ex Sent Revenge Porn to Her Boss"

"Donald Trump Offends Pope with Sexist Remark"

"Are Avocados the Cure to Cancer?"

Those were the headlines Jenna read as she lazily scrolled through MSN on her iPad. It was one in the morning, the entire household was completely silent. Quentin was fast asleep in his bed, exhausted from baseball practice from the earlier afternoon. Jenna had had a long day while at school, she thought she was developing carpel tunnel after writing so many notes. And Jake...

... Wasn't home yet.

He sent her a text about an hour ago, letting her know that he was okay and still in one piece. Apparently, he was out on a stakeout with Lex, about to take down some sort of drug ring in downtown Atlanta. Jenna had learned enough to not worry so much about Jake anymore: the long days and hourly texts had become a part of their routine. And while Jake made an effort to definitely spend more time at home then at work, Jenna still hated the idea of going to sleep alone. 

After months of living together, Jenna had grown accustomed to sharing the bed. They'd spend hours into the early morning, talking about nothing really important. Or sometimes, they wouldn't talk at all, especially if Jake had a tough day at work. They'd just lay side-by-side, staring at each other, and Jenna would stroke the length of his arm while he twirled her curls between his fingers. He would pull her into his chest and she would just fit perfectly, like a puzzle piece he had been missing for so long. She'd snuggle into his warm and sturdy chest, taking in the waft of exhaustion and sweat from his long days. And some nights, there wasn't much talking or sleeping... if you catch the hint. What could she say? Jenna always had a thing for a guy in uniform. 

But right now, Jenna was anxious for her boyfriend to come home, just so she could go to sleep with a piece of mind. It had been over an hour; and Jake would have called -- let alone texted -- to let her know he was on his way. She remembered spending similar nights with her mother, wondering and pestering about her father, hoping that he would come home. 

Suddenly, there was a click down the hall, and she heard the front door open. The alarm bleeped for a mere ten seconds, then it was quiet again; all Jenna could hear were the heavy stomp of work boots. Suddenly giddy with excitement, she shut off her iPad and pulled the covers over her shoulder, shutting her eyes and pretending to be asleep. 

Jake ran a sore hand through his hair and threw his duffel down by the kitchen table. He would unpack it tomorrow. He set his helmet and jacket onto the table, kicked off his boots, then he quietly crept upstairs to bed. He peaked in on Quentin first, and he smiled when he saw the sleeping boy. He still had his baseball jersey hanging over the side of his bed from today. 

He shut the door to his room, and then he shuffled to his own room. He could briefly see the outline of Jenna's sleeping form within the bed covers. Jake started to undress; throwing his t-shirt into the laundry bin and kicking off his tight work pants. He put on a pair of sweats and a muscle shirt, then he crawled into bed next to Jenna. Her body slightly rose and fell, her mass of thick brown hair was tied up in a loose ponytail. She radiated a certain warmth that made him feel comfortable and at ease; something he didn't get often. Unbeknownst to him, she had gotten the full show.