12~ Sacrifice What You Are

"One life is all we have and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying."

~ Joan of Arc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They took a dark van, tattered and dusty, sure to look inconspicuous in the mess. The ride was silent the entire time; the headlights were off, the sirens were disabled, and they moved slowly on a low gear, allowing the engine to hardly make any noise. Jenna was quiet, she just looked out the window with a tech next to her, wiring his computer while Jake and Lex sat up front, silent as well. Jake looked into his side mirror, and he could see Jenna's reflection behind him, with no reaction or emotion on her face. He felt for her, he could only imagine what she was feeling. Adrenaline? Fear? Anxiety? He remembered his first major operation; he had to go undercover to catch a street mugger. If Lex hadn't been there, he would've gotten a crowbar to the face.

They stopped on the corner of 14th street, right behind a large high rise that hid the van in a shadow. Jake immediately slid into the back with Jenna while Lex supervised the tech and his work. Jenna tried to put on her best brave smile.

"How are you doing?" he asked. She nodded back.

"It'll be a piece of cake," she replied.

Jake could see right through her, "For a thief, you're a not very good liar," he said. Jenna's smile faltered.

"Screw you," she replied. He chuckled lightly and fixed the lapel of her jacket.

"How's your wire fit?" he asked.

"It itches a little," she replied.

"You'll get used to it," he opened a box and handed her a small bud, the size of a small button, "An earpiece, so I'll be right next to you, and I'll be watching," he said.

Jenna took the bud and slipped it into her ear, then covered it with her hair.

"I know," she tried to smile again. Jake looked over his shoulder, just to ensure that Lex was occupied.

"Just in case things go really South," he said. Jenna didn't speak as he reached into his back pocket, and she was absolutely shocked when he pulled out a small revolver gun.

"Where'd you get that?" she asked.

"I convinced Lex to sign off on it," he replied, "Take it,"

Jenna didn't though, she was frozen, "I can't," she said, "I don't believe in guns,"

Jake sighed and nodded, "Look, I get it, okay? I know what you went through, I can't imagine how painful that must've been; but then again, I can. You feel like you're on automatic all the time, and you have some days when you just want to down the whole bottle of sleeping pills and call it a day, right?"

Jenna tilted her head slightly, "How'd you know?"

"We've all got our crosses,"  the works shook as they passed his lips, and the gut-wrenching feel of nostalgia quickly overtook him. But he had to force his own feelings aside; so he took her hand and placed the gun into her palm, "If you feel like you absolutely need to, use the gun. You remember the signal, right?"

"Tap my leg twice,"

"Good,"

Jenna gripped the gun lightly and traced the handle of the trigger, "So, how do I use it?" she asked.

"C'mere," Jake pulled her next to him and put her arms up, both handle wrapped around the gun, "Keep your arm straight, look at your target, pull the trigger, fire. Simple, really,"