CHAPTER FOUR

When Tessa woke up, the 100 was consumed in chaos

When Tessa woke up, the 100 was consumed in chaos. Wells was dead, and there was a murderer in the camp. Well technically speaking, there were many murderers inside the camp's walls but only one of them had gotten the courage to stab Wells in the neck, chop off his index finger, and leave him for dead in the woods in the middle of the night.

Gossip spread quickly in their little camp and by the time morning came around, people were being blamed left and right for the murder of the Chancellor's only son.

Contrary to her previous attitude toward him, Clarke was the most upset about Wells' abrupt murder. She had spent half the morning crying, and Tessa heard through the gossip going around that Clarke had forgiven Wells for whatever she was mad at him for.

Wells death however, did not allow the 100 a day to mourn for Bellamy was in full swing, mandating that anybody able to work would be working. To protect themselves from the threat of the grounders, they needed a stable wall around the camp by nightfall.

Tessa stayed close to Charlotte doing basic things like tying pieces of wood together for the less lazy to move and place into the wall. Tessa had grown a soft spot for the little girl, maybe it was because Charlotte reminded her of a younger version of herself.

They had been laughing over something Charlotte had said when a boy named Dane tripped and fell over. The log he had been carrying fell beside him and he stopped for a moment to catch his breath.

Apparently not pleased by his temporary break, John Murphy sauntered over to Dane with his usual level of attitude. "Hey! You think the grounders are just gonna sit around and wait for us the finish the wall? --" He pointed at Charlotte. "--Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?"

Dane sighed looking up at Murphy. "I just need some water, okay? Then I'll be fine."

Bellamy followed in suit of John, coming up behind Dane. "Murphy, get this guy some water. -- Hey." He called to Charlotte and Tessa who we're trying to finish their tying and not get involved in the drama.

"You two got this?" He asked, motioning toward the fallen log. Tessa looked over at Charlotte who was already in full swing, about to pick up the log. With a small laugh, Bellamy cut in front of her. "I'm just kidding."

He hoisted the log up effortlessly and rested it on his shoulder, tossing a wink in the girl's direction as he walked away.

With a smile, Charlotte returned to tying the ropes but Tessa was distracted by Murphy who had decided that instead of giving Dane water he would urinate on the boy instead.

Realizing what he was doing, Dane stood up and pushed Murphy back. Like usual, Murphy's friends stepped in and held Dane back as the former just laughed at the other boy. "You wanted a water break." He said with a shrug before facing the rest of the 100 and raising his voice. "Get back to work!"