Chapter 16: Bird in a Cage (Part 2)

Depuis le début

One thing was for sure—Frankie couldn't have been a part of the bet.

"Feed the balls for a sec, will you?" Dez said to him. "I want to show Peacock that she's not going to get hurt if she stands in the box."

"Sure thing." As Frankie headed towards the pitching machine, Dez took my place in the batter's box. He glanced at me over his shoulder as he smirked.

"Watch and learn, little bird."

He cocked his head towards Frankie before the catcher sent the first pitch through the machine. Standing on the sidelines, the ball seemed to move far, far slower than it did when I was the one at the plate, but Dez stood still as a statue as the ball came towards him—and flew past him, missing him by a long shot.

"One more." He moved two steps closer to the plate, right on the edge of that batter's box. Closer to where the ball would land. Frankie fed another ball into the machine and my heart raced. This time, the ball looked like it was really going to graze Dez—but as it flew past him again, I realized it was far from it.

He turned around, pressing those lips into a triumphant smile as he walked towards me. "See? Even if you stand over the plate, you're not going to get hit. Now get your fine ass back in that box and this time," Dez winked, "try not to scream."

I scowled at him as I took my place back in and got into my stance. Instead of going back to the pitching machine, Dez stayed behind me and watched from there—which only made me feel more self-conscious than the fact that I was being watched by everyone else.

At his signal, Frankie fed another pitch into the machine. I forced my feet to stay planted where they were as that bullet of a ball shot towards me, squeezing the bat in my hands until my knuckles turned bone white. I held my breath as it came—

And shot right past me.

I heard Dez's low chuckle before I felt the weight of his hand at my shoulder. "'Atta girl. Next time, you should try swinging. Your chances of actually hitting the ball will go up."

I jerked his hand off my shoulder before I turned around and faced him. "Maybe I should try swinging at you."

He gave me a wry grin before stepping forward to tuck a loose strand of my hair back into the helmet. "You don't scare me, Peacock."

"Liar."

"So what if I am?" His fingers lingered on my cheek for a heartbeat before his eyes met mine—and that smile waned. He brought his hand down, coiling it hard at his side.

"It looks good on you," he said quietly, his gaze lifting to his helmet for a moment before it fell back to my face.

My lips.

I reminded myself it was all for pretend—that wanting gleam in his eyes. Even as I remembered what we'd done in the hall . . . the way he teased me. Tested me.

And the way I nearly failed that test.

So I gave Dez an inviting little smirk as I stepped closer and placed my finger on his chest, feeling that solid strength hidden beneath his shirt. He tensed beneath my touch, but I dragged that finger over him slowly, causing his breath to hitch as I whispered, "Compliments, my darling Desmond, will not stop me from sticking this bat where the sun doesn't shine."

Then I pressed my hand against his chest and shoved him back, rolling my eyes. "Now get away from me, you oaf. I have to focus."