Cultists

Subaru tapped his pencil on the table, the tapping noise echoed throughout the classroom. Subaru was looking at the sheet of paper in front of him. It was a typical 'get to know you' questionnaire given by his teacher. Subaru was having trouble answering one of the questions.

5) What did you do over Vacation?

Haha, I did all sorts of stuff. However, if Subaru answered truthfully he was sure the teacher would classify either him as the class joker or class weirdo. Subaru wrote down his answer: Went..on a..trip.

There, that should do it. Subaru moved onto the next question:

6) Did you go out of the country?

Oh for Christ's sake.

.

.

"When you're finished, please pass all your papers to the front." The teacher up front got up from his desk to address the class.

Subaru snapped out of his daydreaming and gave his paper to the person in front of him. He watched as the teacher collected the papers and placed them on his desk in a neat stack. When the teacher was done he turned and leaned back, putting his hands onto the desk, "Thank you, class. That'll be your first assignment of the semester so you should start off with an easy A." The teacher never seemed to smile, making Subaru wonder if he was always this serious.

The teacher picked up a marker and started to write on the whiteboard.

Awwww geez.

Subaru looked around the classroom. It was decorated like how any school teacher would typically decorate it; with inspirational posters, puns relating to the subject, a shelf full of extra textbooks, and past projects posted on every wall. A large window stretched from front to back on one wall, Subaru had a window seat with a view of the parking lot outside. Not a pretty sight, but it was nice to have a window to look out of when he wanted to drown the voice of the teacher out. 7 more weeks, just 7 more until I go back to Rem.

Looking outside, Subaru saw a few students running from their parent's cars to the school's entrance. The clock on the classroom's wall read 9:00. Really, on the first day?

Subaru put his elbow on the desk and rested his cheek on his hand, looking at the students. Next to him was Michael, cleaning his glasses and putting them back on, squinting to see what the teacher was writing in the board. Everyone else in the class Subaru only knew by name, but never talked to unless absolutely necessary.

"Mr. Natsuki!"

Subaru heard the teacher call his name. Looking to him, Subaru saw that he had his arms crossed, marker in hand, waiting for something.

Subaru hadn't been paying attention to the teacher so naturally he asked, "Yes?"

The class snickered. Subaru blushed, embarrassed.

The teacher pointed to a circle he had drew on the board with various points scattered along its circumference. "Mr. Natsuki, would you mind refreshing my memory on what the cosine of 2π is?"

Oh great, he's one of those teachers. Subaru rarely wandered off in thought, but he hated when teachers called on him on those rare occasions. He understood reasoning behind it, but it put him in an embarrassing situation.

Not knowing the answer, Subaru blurted the first number that came to his mind, "One?"

The teacher rose an eyebrow, his eyes stern, "Is that a question or an answer?"