Chapter Fifteen

"I rule in favor of the defendants". Judge Hardy smiled to us.

On the inside I was cheering and rubbing it in the fat man's face. But on the outside I was calm. The other party were cursing and yelling, causing some of them to be removed from the court room. I hugged Zack and Grandma. Then Mom.

"The Sanders are to pay the Paisleys by the date of January 29th, in the amount of $100,000". Judge Hardey went on.

This made my jaw drop. That was twice the amount we asked for.

"This should be enough to cover the lost belongings in Mrs. Sanders home." She smiled at Grandma.

"Your honor? Don't you think that's a bit steep?". Mr. Valoy sounded nervous.

"Nope. Court adjourned". She banged her gavel.

The Sanders stared us down menacingly.

I smiled and waved at the now red beer bellied man. We walked out of the court, going to get ice cream for our victory.
-----------------------------------------------------------
This day. I thought it would never come. Today, my Father would come over to talk things out with Mom. And I would be there to make sure things didn't get violent. From Mom's side of course. She knew he was coming, but that didn't mean she was going to be cordial. Zack and Grandma had gone to the store. Grandma was gonna cook tonight. And I was dying to know what. But that would have to wait. Because as I was putting on my shoes for today, the door bell rang. I met Mom at the bottom of the steps.

"Remember no violence". I eyed her skeptically.

"No violence, got it". She repeated nervously.

I went to the door opening it to reveal my Dad, holding a bouquet of roses.

"Hello Iris". He greeted.

"Hi, come in". I instructed him.

He stepped inside and I closed the door behind him.

"Hello, Maddy". Dad smiled nervously handing her the flowers.

"Thank you Carter, the flowers are nice". She smiled accepting the flowers.

"Ok. Let's take this party to the dining room". I pushed the two toward the dining table, sitting them across from each other.

I took the flowers into the kitchen, putting them in a water-filled vase.

I sat between the two at the end of the table.

"So, we are meeting here today to mediate the events that occurred this past year". I sighed.

"So who wants to start?". I smiled between the two.

Mom sat up in her chair.

"I'll go first". She shifted in her seat, hopefully this didn't go bad.

"Carter. When we said ours vows they were supposed to be forever. And you broke that. You broke that trust. And that hurt me that you left me, your daughter for someone you met at a bar. That hurt me and you'll never know how bad that hurt when you sent those papers. Not even in person. In the mail? Is that what I'm worth to you? That you couldn't even give them to me face to face?". She wiped away a tear.

I had prepared for this. I handed her a Kleenex.

"Maddy, I didn't want it to go down that way". Dad began before Mom interrupted him.

"Then how did you want it to go?". She sniffled.

"I never wanted you or Iris to get hurt". He broke down and began to cry.

I handed him a Kleenex.

"You do understand that you left without another glance back, right?". I frowned.

"I do. And I regret that. But I can't change the past. I can only work forward to the present". He sighed wiping his eyes and nose.

"I can agree with that". Mom smiled a little.

"So you both agree that your going to work toward the future?". I looked between the two.

"I am willing". Mom shrugged.

"I am too. And I want to apologize to the both of you because, I split up a good thing". Dad looked at us and smiled a little.

"We accept your apology". Mom smiled.

We all got up and hugged.

"I love you guys". Dad whispered to us.

"I love you Dad". I smiled.

"I'm working on that love part". Mom giggled.

We all laughed.

"Dad you wanna stay for dinner?". I beamed.

"Um-yea if it's ok with your Mom". He sighed looking to Mom.

"Of course. Mrs. Sanders is cooking". Mom went into the kitchen.

"Mrs. Sanders?". Dad looked confused.

"I'll explain later". I laughed.

I'm glad Mom and Dad had this talk. It was a step to getting my family back on track.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Later Grandma cooked gumbo. I never had it before, but it was good. She also told me that her husband, Grandpa Henry was from New Orleans. And he taught her how to make gumbo. She shared some stories on how her and Grandpa Henry met at Mardi Gras. This day couldn't go bad. The door bell rung and I went to get it. I opened the door to reveal Cardi. I quickly shut and locked the door.

"Who was that?". Mom asked.

"No one". I lied.

Carti needed to get this. There is no making up. After that stunt he pulled at the board walk, he was just another dead, distant memory. Just like Riley.