Chapter Sixteen

I'm back at school. Sitting in home room as the announcements play.

"In other news we are glad to have one of our fellow students, Iris Paisley, back from her recovery. Welcome back Iris". Mr. Major, our principal spoke cheerfully.

"Ugh-who cares?!". Riley piped from her seat at the back of the room.

"I care". Carti piped from the other side of the class.

He had been trying to get back together at an all time high. And it didn't help that he transferred here. Zack snorted behind me. He was slowly returning back to his old self.

"So did your Mom get a check in the mail yet? It's almost Christmas". Zack asked.

"No. They're probably gonna wait until the twenty-ninth". I chuckled.

"Yeah. Probably". He agreed.

Once homeroom was over Zack and I headed to study hall, which Riley and Carti also shared with us.

We entered the room and took our seats. Carti sitting smack dab on the other side of me. Zack rolled his eyes.

"So uh-Iris, I was wondering if-".

"No". I let out coldly.

"Ouch!". Zack laughed.

I rolled my eyes.

"You didn't even hear what I wanted to ask". He shrieked.

"I didn't have to. I wouldn't be caught dead in public with you". I spat.

"DAMN, hey man here's some water for those third degree burns". Zack chuckled wiping a tear from his eye.

"Whatever". Carti grimaced turning in his seat.

"So Iris, what are you wearing to prom?". Zack asked looking down at his phone.

"I told you I might not go, probably leaning towards not". I shrugged.

"Ugh-your so complicated". He sighed dramatically.

"Your so dramatic". I mimicked him.

We continued study hall doing homework for another class.

The bell rang and I split ways with Zack. He had AP History, while I had Calculus. I stopped by my locker to grab my text book when it slammed closed. I looked to see Riley.

"What". I rolled my eyes at her.

"I just want you to know the only reason Carti is trying so hard to get you back, is because I dumped him and now he's lonely". She smirked evily.

"Whatever you tell yourself to sleep at night honey!". I beamed before walking to Calculus.

-----------------------------------------------------------
The last period of the day was Art Appreciation. I had this with Zack.

"So she basically said Mr. Asshole wouldn't be going after you if she hadn't broken up with him?". Zack frowned.

"Yep". I smirked popping the P.

Zack was laughing. He wouldn't even stop.

"It's not that funny". I smirked on the verge of laughing.

"It kinda is". He choked out laughing.

I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway, my birthday is this weekend so what do you have planned?". I narrowed my eyes at Zack playfully.

"Something fab-u-lous". He drawled.

I giggled. We spent the period trying to find the purpose of the Mona Lisa.

"I can't wait till the Winter Dance". Zack enthused as we got in my car.

"Good luck with that". I smirked.

"Uggghhh-you never want to do anything". I sighed.

I laughed and drove home.

-----------------------------------------------------------
When we got home there was a large gift box on the doorstep. It was green with red polka-dots and a red bow. I picked it up and went inside.

"What's that honey?". Mom asked coming from the kitchen.

"I don't know, it has my name on it". I frowned.

"Open it!". Zack yelled.

"Ok-ok". I sighed.

I popped the lid off the large gift box and staring back at me was a golden retriever puppy.

"Oh my God!". I shrieked pulling him out.

His collar was red with a gold nameplate. Carti it read.

I took the collar off and threw it in the trash.

"Looks like we'll just have to get you a new collar". I rubbed my nose against his.

"What are you gonna name him?". Zack asked.

"Hmmmmm. Not sure". I shrugged.

He licked my nose and my heart melted.

"He is so cute". Mom beamed at him.

She had always wanted a dog. But it kinda got pushed to the side when I was born.

"Well he is my baby". I cooed at the adorable golden retriever.

Zack and I went to the pet store to get him some essentials.

When we got there I grabbed two blue bowls, a dog bed, toys, a blue collar, food, and a leash.

"Will that be all?". The clerk asked me.

"Yes". I beamed.

She bagged up the items and I handed her a fifty dollar bill. She gave me back my change and I went back to my car. The puppy was waiting at the driver's side window. He went nuts when he saw me. I opened the back door and he jumped over the arm rest.

"Hey buddy". I giggled.

"He doesn't understand you". Zack rolled his eyes.

I got in the drivers seat and started the car. The puppy jumped in my lap.

"Can I drive us home please?". I giggled laughing.

He barked and jumped on Zack.

I laughed as Zack jumped from the sudden contact. I laughed. I love having a puppy.