17. Rajab Weds Babli

Start from the beginning

"I think you should consider the proposals brought byMaya. Both the boys are good. They are also earning well.Irshad is running a footwear shop in Gaziabad. You can alsocontinue your studies from Gaziabad. Nice family. Hamid is a clerk in some government office in Gaziabad. He can also helpyou continue your studies." 

"Nannee, did you think of Rabia auntie? She needs ourhelp. You can't manage her single handed. And we cannot sendher away. You know, everyone wants his bride to be with him inhis house. Nobody has even agreed to send me for nursing." 

"They marry to set up a home, not a nursing home!!" 

"Quite true. To be a nurse is my dream. I will be happyhere nursing Rabia auntie!" 

"For life?" 

"If that be Allah's will. But I am sure, some day she willrecover and take me for her daughter.""How sure can you be?" 

"I am sure. Allah will not reject my prayer and myservice!" 

"You are too optimistic!!" 

*** *** 

That day at the dinner table Sofia expressed her concernabout Rajab's marriage getting delayed. 

"Son, you have to get married without any further delay.We are eager to see you settled down with a family in our lifetime. Already there are half a dozen proposals on hand. Wemust make a choice." 

"Ammi, it is still too early for me to get entangled in amarriage. My job is still not made permanent. It takes time.Wait." 

"Or do you have someone already in your mind. Befrank brother". That was Soniya. 

"No. Nobody. The only thing is I need some more time." 

"Listen. Soniya will go when her house is completed.Then I and your father will be alone here. I need somebody toassist me and take care of the home". 

"Okey. Let us wait until Soniya's house is ready, andJeejaji (sister's husband) returns." 

"It is more than four years he is away. Certainly Khusruwill come for this Ramadhan. We should have the marriagefixed for a day after the Eid, before he returns to Dubai."Rajab's father observed. 

"Yes. We must select a girl as soon as possible. Only afew days are left for Ramadhan". Sofia was encouraged. 

"Give me some time to think." 

*** *** 

A couple of days later Syed Ali happened to visit thehospital to show his daughter to the doctor. The girl was havingincessant cough for almost a week. While at the hospital he justpopped into the ward where Rajab was working, as a matter ofcourtesy. Rajab was quite happy to see him as he had not seenhim since Rabia was taken home. 

"Syed Bhai, Assalamo Alaikum. What brings you here?" 

"Wa Alaikum Salaam, this girl is coughing all throughfor the last one week. I have just seen Dr. Sharma and got theprescription" 

"Did you collect the medicine." 

"Not yet. I may have to buy from outside. May be it isnot available at the dispensary. That is what Dr. Sharma said." 

"There must be some cough syrup in the ward. Let mecheck. Give me the prescription." 

Rajab went into the ward. Checked the trolley and cameback with a small bottle. 

"Syed Bhai, here is a small bottle. It is a different brandbut as good as what is prescribed. Try this. I will bring more ifyou need. I will check in the pharmacy store. By the way, doesshe take too much of chocolates"