4. Lunch With the Imam

Start from the beginning

In the western wall of the prayer hall there was a man-size hole or projection for the Imam to stand while leading the prayers. On the right of it was the mimber, a three step brick work for the Imam to stand while giving his sermon, Khutba, during the prayers on Friday and the two Eids, at the top of which he would rest for a while in between phases.

The lower half of the walls of the hall and the verandah were painted blue and the upper half white, with a red ribbon running in between. The only other decoration was a chandelier which was hung in the middle of the hall. And a round clock on the wall. Once upon a time the chandelier had held a number of candles; but for now there were fluroscent tubes attached to the walls.

It was nearing time for Zohr (mid-day or early afternoon) prayers. An elderly person entered the courtyard, leaving the shoes in one of the pigeon holes, proceeded to a brickstool and sat down for the ablution. He opened the water tap a little allowing water to flow like a thread, washed his hands, face and feet with water collected in the hollow of his palms. The boys on the other stools watched him with curiosity. They had been used to allowing the water to run with full force while they rubbed their hand and feet or washed the face. The old man looked at them sternly and as if prompted by the force behind his looks, the boys, one after the other, turned the taps reducing the flow. The old man looked at them and smiled, pleasingly.

Raising from the stool, he pulled out a white cap from his trouser pocket and put it on; walked straight to the verandah and then into the main hall and stood in prayers.

When he had finished the prayers he found himself flanked by a small group of inquisitive men, young and old.

"Assalamu Alaikum" (Peace be upon you). He greeted them.

"Wa Alaikum Salaam" (Upon you be peace) They responded.

"My name is Amanullah, I am from Kerala"

"Kerala is in Madras ?", Some one asked.

"Are you a Madrasi ?"

"Don't look like. Your accent is like a UP man."

"Well I have learned Urdu in my childhood; and for your information, Kerala is a state south of Madras, in the south-west part of India"

"What brings you here ? business ?"

"Yes, business, Allah's business"

"Have you come with a Tablig Jamath ? (Missionary group)

"No. I am a lone preacher". Pause.........

"I want to talk to you about the dreadful disease, Polio"

"What a dreadful disease. I say, I wouldn't mind if you die of a disease, but being afflicted is horrible. The father or mother must have committed some sin, some unpardonable sin – otherwise why should an innocent child suffer?"

"You caught my thoughts! I came to talk about your sins which make the children suffer"

"Who will listen to us. We have become old. Do you think they will stop committing sins ? They act like no body's business. Murder. Looting. Cheating. Even Prostitution. Eating out of usary ! Will they stop all that if we tell them! Not even my boys! They are more mature than I."

"Any way, let me try in my own way. I should talk to the Imam first."

"Maulana will be here in a few moments, it is time for Zohr"

"I should talk to him after the prayers"

The Imam, Maulana Jamaluddeen Fahmee was a well groomed young man. He greeted the stranger as soon as he entered the hall. Enquired about his welfare. Dr. Amanulla told him that he had some urgent matters to talk to him, after the prayers were over. He readily agreed.