Daisies

Dan shivered as he started his walk, down his usual route. It was always the same: he'd walk downtown, cut through one of the neighborhoods, and head down the dirt road behind it until he reached his destination. It was early spring, so the weather was still a bit chilly, but the trees were all wonderful shades of green, and flowers were blooming all over the place. It was a sight to behold.

He looked down as he walked, trying to avoid eye contact as he passed all the shops. It was a busy Saturday morning, around eleven, so there were couples swinging their hands as they walked, groups of friends laughing and buying ice cream, and mothers taking their children out for the day. There was a generally happy atmosphere, and it made Dan walk with a small smile on his face.

"It's spring! Many lovely flowers in season! We have carnations! We have tulips! We have lilies!" Dan raised his head to the projecting yet gentle voice of the small-town florist. He had set up a nice little booth as a celebration of the beginning of springtime, and his smiling wife, not unlike all the other shop owners, had opened the doors so everyone could see into the shop. Dan's smile grew slightly. He'd always loved flowers. He accidently made eye contact with the owner, who grinned at him widely.

"Good morning! Lovely day! Is there anyone special in your life, good sir?" Dan's eyes widened and he looked down.

"Erm, um... n-not really, thank you sir." The man smiled at him all the same.

"Anyone you would like to be? I'm sure they'd appreciate some beautiful fresh roses-"

"I'm good for today, thank you though." Dan smiled politely at the man. He nodded, and the kind grin never left his face.

"Maybe another time. Have a nice day!"

Maybe I should have, Dan thought to himself as he reached the end of the boulevard, turning to cut through the neighborhood. Maybe if they'd had daisies...

As Dan reached the dirt road behind the nice little neighborhood, he passed a house that caught his eye. It was pastel yellow, with little white window panes and flower beds. It was the flowerbeds that caught his attention: although they were nowhere near as diverse as the flower shop he'd passed earlier, it was almost more beautiful, in a wild and free-spirited sort of way. The flowers, albeit well-kempt and trimmed, grew all over the place. The begonias mixed with the tulips, and the buttercups were complimenting the violets. There weren't only flowerbeds, either; there were pots hanging from the porch with the kinds of flowers that droop like a willow tree, and there were small flowerbeds on each and every windowsill. It was a beautiful mess, which was something Dan could appreciate.

He was about to pass when he noticed something that rendered him unable to move.

Daisies.

They were on the left side of the sidewalk leading to the door, and were concentrated in a certain area before branching out and mixing with their gerbera counterparts. He considered for a moment. It will only be a few, he thought. They won't miss them.

Cautiously, Dan edged toward the daisies, careful not to step on any of the wildflowers that grew in patches in front of the flowerbeds. His feet planted firmly on the bright green grass, Dan leaned forward and plucked the daisies. First one, then four, then six. He decided that was enough, then slowly stepped back from the still plentiful bunch of flowers, then smiled proudly down at his small bouquet. This would do.

Content with his freely-acquired daisy bouquet, he set off between the next two houses and onto the dirt road that cut behind them, and continued on his way.