Chapter 8

"Wait. Why are you out early?" I asked him with worry in my voice. He laughed. I hated that laugh. It always scared me, it gave me bad thoughts. "Look that isn't important. I want to know where you are." he said with force. I put him in speaker phone. Rosie was still shocked. She snatched my phone out of my hand. "This is her friend. Why don't you just leave her alone? I mean she don't love you. She hates you! Leave her alone! Loser!" she said. "What the heck Rosie!" I said to her. "Ha-ha. I don't have anything to worry about. She doesn't scare me. No matter what she does she'll always hear from me." he said. There was a long pause between all of us. "But anyway. I hope to see you and your new boyfriend at the fair. My boys have been telling me about him. He loves God. He's perfect. He's changed you Mack. And I don't like that. He took your heart from me. And I'm getting it back!" he said then hung up the phone. "We got to go home! I want to tell dad what just happened!" I told her. I took my phone back and grabbed her arm. We walked out of the doors and heard a loud buzzing noise. "What the heck is that?" I asked. I turned around and saw a security guard running towards us. "Hey! You girls! Come here now!" he said. "DUDE! YOU STILL HAVE THE FRIGGING BALL!" I said to Rosie. "So why do you have that ball? You know you can get in HUGE trouble for stealing that." the man said to Rosie. "Look sir. Me and her were playing baseball in the toy section and my ex called saying he was out of jail. We freaked out and forgot we still had the objects with us. Because I wanted to get home fast because my ex might hurt my family.." I told him trailing off. "Wait! What's happening with your ex? Come with me please so we can all talk in private." he said. He walked off and we followed. "I'm scared." Rosie said. "So am I." I told her. We came to the back of the store where the security guards stay. He led us to his office and we both sat down in little plastic chairs. "So tell me what's going on with your ex." he said sitting down at his desk. "OK. Well me and him dated about a year ago. And he was abusive. So I ended up breaking up with him, because he threw something at me and cut my head deep and I had to go to the hospital, and he tried to break in and hurt my family. So he got sent to jail. He just called not long ago telling me he couldn't wait to see me and my new boyfriend at the fair this week.." I told him. He finished writing and looked up at me. "Anything else?" he asked. "No si.." I was cut off by Rosie. "Please don't send me to jail. I wasn't thinking about stealing that! I just never let go because she grabbed me so fast I just never let go!" Rosie said getting on her knees crying. "It's fine sweetie." he said. "Well. I'm going to inform the cops about this to let them know. So they can tell the cops at the fair to watch out for him. OK?" he said. "Thank you." I said. "Get up Rosie. We need to go home." she got up and the man opened the door and let us out. "I was scared." she said. "Me too." I agreed. We walked out of the store and headed to the car. We sat there for a long time not speaking.

"Well," she said. "We're here." I nodded at what she said. "You want to come in?" I asked. "No I'm fine thank you. I need to tell mom I'm OK. I didn't expect us to be gone so long." she said. I smiled faintly and got out of the car closing the door behind me. She waved to  me and I waved back. I opened the door and walked in slowly. "Why are you walking so slow?" Kay asked me. "No reason. Where's dad?" I asked. She pointed behind her towards the back door. "The shop?" I asked. She nodded her head yes. I went over towards the back door and saw him coming out of the shop. I went out of the door and went to him. "Hey honey. How are you?" dad asked. "I'm kind of scared and worried." I told him. He turned around putting down his box and looked at me. "What do you mean?" he asked. He motioned me to come inside the shop to sit down. I followed him from behind and sat down by him on the small couch. "So what's being going on?" he asked me raising his eyebrows. "I got a call from David. He told me he was out of jail and that he couldn't wait to see Jake and I at the fair. And this was when we were in Walmart by the way. He kept asking me where I was and stuff like that. And he wouldn't tell me why he wanted to know. I'm scared he might try and find us and hurt us." I told him looking down into my hands. "Well, you're not going to the fair then." he told me. "I don't want to take chances." I looked up at him. "We'll be fine. I mean we told the Walmart security what happend and he told us that he was going to tell the security at the fair to watch out for David. Making sure he doesn't get too close. You know?" I said to him. "Wait!" he said. "The Walmart secuirty? What did you do?" I smiled and then answered. "Me and Rosie were playing around in Walmart. We were playing baseball, I had the bat and she had the ball. I hit it and she went back to get the ball and I got the call from David. So we both freaked out. I grabbed her arm and ran with her to the doors to leave, but then the alarms went off. We forgot that she still had the ball in her hand. So the man came and got us and we told him why we still had it." I told him. He just looked at me and took a deep breath. "Why would you even play in Walmart? I mean yeah they toys and cool things there. But that doesn't mean you can play with them. Don't do that again. You're 16 and you should know better." he said pointing a finger at me. "Before I forget. What was that red stuff on your carpet in your room?" he asked me. Oh crap. Did he really just ask me that? I knew that I should not have let her tempt me into drinking. I thought before answering. "What red stuff?" I asked acting confused. He got up and moved his hand towards himself. Giving me a sign that I needed to follow him. He walked inside the house and into my room down the hall. And stood by the stain. "This. What is this?" he said. I just stood there. Speachless. Lie. Lie to him. I said to myself. He probably would believe you anyway. "Oh that's Kool-Aid."I told him. "You sure?" he asked me. "Yes. We got thirsty and made some, but when it spilled I couldn't get the stain out in time. I forgot to tell you. Im sorry." I told him looking down at my feet. "It's fine. I'll go to the store tomorrow and get something to get it out." he said smiling. He walked out of the room and back outside. I sat down on my bed and took in a deep breath falling backwards on my bed. I layed there very still. Thinking about everything that happend today. David getting out of jail. Almost getting caught "stealing" something. And almost getting caught drinking by dad. What else could go wrong? I asked myself. Kay walked into my room and layed onthe bed with me. "Chello!" she said. She always loved saying that. I don't know why though. "You want to watch a movie with me?" she asked. I sat up and looked at her. "Not really." I told her. She looked up at me with those big brown puppy dog eyes and never blinked. "FINE!" I said. "Just stop doing that!" She smiled at skipped into the living room. She always got her way when she did that. I swear when she doesn't get her way with her future husband she will just make that face and he will be like putty in her hands. "Mack! Come here!" Kay yelled across the house. I got up and walked into where she was. "What movie?" she asked handing me the remote. We always watched Paperview movies. "I think this one will be cool. We've seen every Twilight movie except the last one." I told her. "Doesn't she get pregnant in this one?" she asked making a sick-looking face. "Yes." I answered laughing at her facial expression. "I'll try to hold my lunch down." she said. I smiled and pressed the buy button and the movie began.

"WOW!" Kay said. "I'm ready for the last part! I wonder what's going to happen to everyone! I hate endings like that though." "Oh I know how you feel Kay." I said to her. I checked the time on my phone and saw that it was 6:00. Dad walked into the living room and sat down. "That stupid movie's over I see." he said leaning back in his recliner. Kay laughed at him. "It wasn't stupid dad. It was very good." Kay said. "Did you see them have sex?" dad asked us. We looked at each other. "Nope." Kay said. "Not really. It wasn't like porn though. But you did see him break the headboard and saw him shirtless." I said laughing. "Oh Lord. I swear whoever came up with movies and books like that. They need help." he said. "Yea sure." Kay said. "I'm going to go change my clothes." I said. They both nodded and began talking to one another. I walked back to my room and went to my dresser. I picked out a pair of black shorts and a white tank top. I sat my phone down on my counter and began to undress. Vrrggg! Vrrgggggg! I heard a odd noise and looked down at my phone. I was getting a call from him. I stopped getting dressed and hesistated but answered the phone. "Why are you calling me?" I asked. I heared him take in a deep breath before answering me. "I want to hang out baby." he said. "Um, no!" I said. "Look either you sneak out to see me tonight or I come over there. It's YOUR choice." he said. "No. YOU look here. I'm not going anywhere. And you can TRY to come here, but if you do. Then I'll call the cops. K?" I said bravley. I was proud of myself for standing up to him again. "The cops can't keep me away forever baby. Remeber that. I WILL see you again. Don't you worry." he said hanging up the phone. My jaw dropped. He will see me again? I asked myself over and over again. I'm not ready to go back to school. Being new to high school will be bad enough. But watching out for him? That's going to be a problem. I'm not ready for that. I got my phone and called Jake. "Hello?" he said. "Hey boo. Can you come over?" I asked. "Sure honey. I'll be there soon. Love you." he said. "Love you too." I said. Then we both hung up and I walked back to my room and layed down on the bed. I fell asleep for about 5 minutes. Until a warm sensation on my back woke me up. "Hey beautiful." said Jake smiling at me. "Hello." I said back sharing a smile with him. "So what's wrong hun?" he asked. I told him all the information that happend today. "Wow really? He better not mess with you if we get to go." he said. "Thanks boo. And what do you mean by 'if we get to go'?" I asked him. "Like your dad might not let you go because of David." he said. "Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure we can go." I said holding him by his waist. He held me tightly in his buff arms and smiled. Then gave me a kiss that sent fire through my lips and to the rest of my body.