Chapter 34

Kalliope tried to still her fears and her anger. The feeling of loss made her want to howl aloud. They had lost Circe; how could anything else be important?

Pet had said the right thing, though. They still had her work to finish, and Kalliope would see it through. There was nothing else left for her except what Circe had sent them to do.

Why was she still human? Kalliope wondered if she could even turn to wolf again, but didn't think too hard for fear of changing.

Pela and Prince Druce led them under guard straight into the feasting hall. The sight of all the colors and people -- and the smell of burnt food -- nearly made her gag. She dared not look at the faces around her, though the room grew quieter the closer they got the long table at the end of the hall.

Kalliope didn't have to guess which man was the king, even before Prince Druce crossed to the man. He stood, looking downward at the gathering of prisoners and guards, an odd look on his face.

"Tiernan?" he asked, softly.

The man, despite all expectations, recognized his son.

For the first time since she'd met him, their human companion showed a surge of emotion. Tears came to his eyes as he bowed his head.

Another man, hardly two chairs down from the king, did not look well at all. Druce glanced his way, confirming for Kalliope that this was Rolin. He was a tall man, thick-necked and fleshy. The thought that this man killed his wife and tried to kill Tiernan nearly won past her hard-fought façade of calm.

Then she heard Dylan make a little sound of anger as he, too, stared at the man. With his next step, she was reminded of how he got that limp and that Dylan might have a reason of his own for anger.

She put a hand on Dylan's arm, and he gave a slight nod and stopped looking at Rolin. They stood before King Gelban in this oddly silent room. She turned her attention back to Tiernan and wished him strength. Pet stood by him, ready for what help he could give.

They were here where Circe sent them. She could not imagine what they could do next.

"We have a mystery, father," Prince Druce said. "This person, who may be Tiernan, claims there is treachery on Lord Rolin's part."

"This is an outrage!" Rolin shouted. He finally managed to get to his own feet, his chair falling back with a bang as it hit the floor. Kalliope caught the sense of people surprised and upset. He glared at the guards that drew near him. "I cannot believe that you would take the word of -- whatever this is, and suggest --"

"I would be remiss not to listen," King Gelban said with a steady voice. "For your sake as well as mine. The charge has been made here before so many Lords and Ladies. To leave it unanswered is to invite trouble."

"I am your friend," Rolin said. His eyes darted once to Tiernan then back to the king. The anger was in his face but not in his voice. "I've stood by your side, and you trust me."

"Yes, I do. I am not questioning your loyalty. I am questioning the charges and -- the unusual way in which they have been brought before me." At this, the man glanced at Prince Druce. Kalliope saw a little sign pass between them, hardly more than a flickering of fingers. Discreet. Interesting.

"He is allied with Leith," Tiernan said. His voice was not nearly as steady as Rolin's or the King's, but he spoke the words clearly enough. "He has an army coming from the south. He killed Aunt Frieda and tried to kill me. The easiest proof is in finding the army if you can. There is magic involved."

"But you bring magic," Prince Druce said. Kalliope thought to protest the accusation in some way but realized Druce had been wise to bring this out immediately. "How can you accuse him of something you plainly traffic in yourself. Captain Pela saw you change from a falcon to this form."

That sent a whisper through the crowd. The King's eyes narrowed, and Kalliope felt a moment when everything could be lost. Rolin must have seen it, too. His face lost some of the redness.

"Magic saved me for this moment so I could stand before you and speak the truth," Tiernan said. His head lifted, and Kalliope could see no doubt or regrets in his face. "The Lady of the Woods and the Mother Goddess gave me gifts to survive so I could reach you. I've given you the news that no one else has, and I expect that you will look into this accusation no matter what you think of me."

The King gave a slight nod. Kalliope suspected that the man wanted to believe Tiernan was real and here, that he wanted his youngest son alive -- and dared not trust what he saw for that reason. He was a wise man. Kalliope could not fault him.

"Test Lord Rolin for magic," Dylan said. It was the first time any of the rest of them had spoken, and the words may have sounded reasoned and calm to others, but Tiernan looked back at the cat as though he expected Dylan to attack right then. Kalliope was ready to grab him if he did turn on the good Lord, but he seemed content with words just then.

King Gelban did, in fact, look at Lord Rolin with a slight quirk of his eyebrow.

"I cannot believe that such tests would be demanded of me!" Rolin sounded indignant. Or frightened. Kalliope could see how some of the others in the room were starting to watch him. Was that their purpose, then? Were they only here to suggest people look at the enemy? It didn't seem like much of a win, considering the cost, but even Dylan looked relieved.

"They've brought magic," Rolin said. His voice wasn't as steady as it had been. "If there's magic found on me, then they planted it to make you suspicious. Could this come at a better time for our enemies? We're on the eve of battle. Of course, they want to split our forces and cast doubt now!"

People nodded, swayed again. Kalliope tried to frame her thoughts, tried to come up with a compelling argument to bring them back to the truth again. She'd never had to speak to sway man or wolf. Words were lost to her, and she saw that Dylan looked dismayed again, his own emotions running with hers.

"I remember --" Tiernan began. The room grew quiet, waiting to hear the next part of this drama. "I remember Master Dapin telling me that any magic can be traced to its source by a true mage. If he has magic, then you can learn where it came from originally."

"You always were far too interested in magic," Prince Druce said with an unexpected smile.

"Assuming he really is your brother," King Gelban added with a frown.

"I wouldn't have brought him here if I didn't already believe. There is one way to settle this, father. Send to the Guild House for Master Dapin himself. He will know how to trace the magic."

"No --" Rolin began.

The torches flickered all around the room, and Kalliope felt something dark settle in the shadows. Humans moved uneasily --

And someone stepped from the shadows who had not been there before.

"Leith," King Gelban greeted the man, a coolness to his voice that Kalliope appreciated. "I would say this answers all our questions."

"Oh yes," the man replied. Tall, haughty, immaculate in his silks and his hair perfect. "The questions are answered. Rolin is mine, not yours. He killed your sister. He tried to kill your whelp and only failed because the boy chanced into an enchanted forest. There are all your truths, for all the good they will do you. I hadn't meant for this to be so plebian a fight, but the matter is settled. Neither your and your sons nor your allies will leave this room."

He waved his hands, and the shadows moved again, separating into man-shaped creatures, stepping into the light before they turned to attack.