one

- s o m e o n e n e w -

disclaimer
*
i do not own any of these characters — they all belong to riverdale along with a bit of the plot. please note this contains inappropriate language. love you guys and thanks for all the support! <3

+ listen to the song above while reading if you'd like :)

_______________________________
b e t t y c o o p e r
_______________________________
Snuggling up in a booth, it comes to my realization that i wouldn't want to be anywhere else than Pop's, with anyone else other than Archie Andrews. Being his next door neighbor, I've known him for about my entire life. He's seen it all, my breakups, friendships, Polly departing, and most importantly, Jason Blossom's death. The death that shook the whole town of Riverdale into chaos. But that's not what I was here to talk to Archie about. After months, even years of gaining romantic feelings for him, I finally have the guts to tell him I love him.

"Archie, can I ask you something?" I blurt.

"Sure Betty, what is it?" he answers, his dark eyes scanning the room as if he didn't want anyone to read the words that were going to spill out of my mouth.

I manage to catch my breath, fists clenched, only resulting to them bleeding. It was a habit, a bad one in particular. Whenever I was extremely stressed out, I'd clamp my fingers into my palms, almost for moral support or a grasp to life.

But my hands never helped solve my problems.

After an awkward ten seconds of silence, I blurt my comment out.

"Well I just wanted to say that I have liked you for a really long time and I was hoping you'd want to be more than friends."

No response.

"Archie? Hello? Earth to Archie?"

Still no answer. His eyes were caught somewhere else, perhaps on someone else. I turn my head around to see a girl, a girl I've never even seen in my life.

Archie grins at her as she throws herself on the seat next to him, like she was our friend. Like we knew her.

"I'm Veronica, Veronica Lodge. I just moved here from New York and I'm trying to make friends before my first day at Riverdale High."

"I'm Archie Andrews, and this is Betty Cooper."

For some reason, the twinkle in Archie's eye change. Like he was starstruck. In love. Like everything we had disappeared. Or should I say thought we had.

Fifteen minutes later of only the two of them chatting, Archie finally questions me to what I was saying right before Veronica wandered in.

"It was nothing, nevermind." I fib. Striding out of the booth, Veronica wonders why I'm leaving so soon.

"I have to go, you know, study." I lie once again. With my head sinking to the ground as I raced towards the exit, I pull the door open ferociously only to slam into someone.

"Sorry." I murmur. In the corner of my eye I see him smile. I look up and smirk back. Advancing past him, I feel an odd tingle throughout my body, like how it feels when your stomach drops as it's filled with butterflies.

He seems familiar. He was jughead jones. He was trouble.

Treading home, I sniff the crisp, autumn air as it fills the sky at its finest. I ponder about how the school semi-formal was just around the corner, and if Veronica Lodge had never ruined my moment I may've gotten the chance to dance with archie. But who knows? Maybe it's still in the bag.

The next day, I attempt to act like I wasn't death staring the two as Veronica and Archie approach me in the hallways. Veronica decides to apologize on how she barged between me and Archie's conversation last night. Who knew someone so Veronica-ish could be so sweet and innocent-like? I accept it and decide to get to know her better. Turns out, her father is in jail, so her and her mom came to Riverdale to get a fresh start. It seems like she trusts me a lot, so I decide to tell her that I like Archie. To my surprise, she wants to help the two of us get together. Apparently, she thinks we would be a "power couple."

Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Throughout the week, she helped me with a lot: studying, making the cheerleading squad, and even standing up to Cheryl Blossom. Cheryl was the ultimate mean girl, one who desires to destroy everything that comes in her way after her twin brother's death.

On Thursday, we were practicing some stunts after school when I finally manage to catch a break.

"B, you need to ask him to the dance." Veronica suggests.

"Ronnie, he'll probably say no."

"Fine, make me do this the hard way."

"Veronica no!" I exclaim. But it was too late, she was dragging me over to Archie, who was just released from football practice.

"Hey Archiekins, I was just wondering if you wanted to go to the dance with me and Betty, as friends."

To my surprise, he gladly took the offer. This makes the dance a whole lot more exciting; I could finally tell Archie how I felt!

-
[ a u t h o r s   n o t e ]

tell me a million times.
tell me this chapter was boring.
tell me it while eating a pear.
tell me it in spanish.
tell me it backwards.
I'M AWARE.
this was kind of a chapter to just introduce the characters. the first few parts may be a little boring but i don't like starting a story with major conflict.

[ word count : 957 words ]