twenty three

ALASKA

Every Wednesday night is trivia night back home at my dad and my favorite sports bar. The two of us would make the ten-minute drive every week religiously, sitting in the same booth, ordering the same meal, and picking the same team name.

So as I sit here in a high-end restaurant with Auston, ready to play a low-end game of trivia, I am reminded of home. Luckily, the amount of Wednesdays I've spent answering trivia questions helped me get good at it and hopefully prepared me for tonight.

The waitress had already brought out our food, as well as the tablet we would using for trivia. Another waitress came over the sound system to announce the start of the game and explain the trivia. Basically, you have twenty seconds to answer each question and can't use your phones. The questions would span over a wide variety of categories like history, sports, and geography.

"For those of you playing trivia, please choose a team name, before we start," the waitress/announcer says. I glance at Auston who, like me, was digging into his meal. He looks up at me and gives a shrug. 

"What should our name be?" I ask after finish chewing my food. He shrugs again and wipes off his mouth with a napkin.

"I don't care, you pick," he says, taking a sip of his water. I smirk and begin tapping away on the tablet. He did tell me to pick...

Satisfied with the name, I clicked enter and sat back with a satisfied smile. I go back to clearing out my food until the announcer announces that the game is starting. 

"First question! Where was the first Hard Rock Café opened?" 

I immediately turn to Auston who finally tears his focus away from his food. I think I know the answer, but I want to see if he has an idea first. I give him a questioning look as I take a sip of my champagne. 

"Definitely New York or Las Vegas," he says, followed by a confident bite of steak. I shake my head in disagreement.

"I'm almost positive it was London," I say, running over any other possibilities in my head. He frowns and gives me a wary look.

"Are you sure? It kinda seems like an American thing," he says.

"Ten seconds!" the announcer hollers, sending me into a small panic. Ignoring Auston, I type London into the answer box and hit submit. Auston gives me a worried look as we wait for the results to appear on the big screen.

"The answer is... London!" 

I smirk and look back over at Auston with a smug expression. He rolls his eyes, acknowledging that I was right. I down the rest of the champagne in my glass then place it back on the table with a smile. The announcer clears her throat before moving onto the next question.

"What color hair was associated with prostitution in ancient Greece?"

The announcer repeats the question as I look at Auston expectingly. My mind started going over all the possibilities, and I could tell Auston was doing the same.

"It's definitely either red or blonde," he says, resting his forearms on the table. I nod in agreement, independently debating between red or blonde hair. Auston suggested we use blonde for our answer, so I quickly type it on the tablet and hit submit. 

"And the answer to our second trivia question of the night is... blonde!" 

The announcer continues to rattle off questions, most of them proving to be easy for Auston and me. Most of the questions were centered around either history or entertainment with some asking for actors in various movies. However, the announcer did say that the questions may begin to grow in difficulty towards the end.