28

Maria

"Okay girls, I think we should start preparing!" Mandy shouts, getting up from the bleachers. "Maria, you begin the warm ups, and I'll go make sure arrangements are set!"

She runs out, and I get up. I begin stretches with the girls, and practice the cheers to prep.

I find myself a bit more eager than usual. All the boys are going to attend today, and this is the first that has happened. Not even Johnny likes to be at the games, he's worried it'll ruin his reputation. I don't mind it though, since I just go to see him at the shop after.

I do not, however, prefer to be around Johnny in my cheer skirt.

The energy around the entire gym is buzzing. We are all excited for our special game.

Jimmy is actually our school's new mascot. He's running around in that stupid bull suit pumping everyone up.

Mandy eventually returns, and brings the cheerleaders to the field. The bleachers are packed with students and what parents live nearby. Everyone is cheering and going crazy. I look and see a small group of black leather jackets in the corner. Thank God.

•••

Derby

"I know I can't do it, just make sure he's single, it'll drive Johnny nuts." I say, handing Mandy $50.

"Got it, Rich Boy."

•••

Maria

Well it's finally halftime. This is the first game we've actually be doing really good at. 21-6, and the other team seems to have lost hope. The cheerleaders all run onto the field and do our tumbling routine. I take center, and do all my best tricks. The crowd roars at my back flips from the 40 yard line to the 30.

The special coat ceremony begins and every girl gets a jacket from the boy they said they would earlier. I stand in the back of the line, since I'm still unsure of who will give me one. When it's finally my turn, I approach the 50, and wait patiently.

That's when the worst happens.

The most attractive football player, Ted Thompson, approaches. His blue eyes hide behind his shaggy brown hair now. He puts his jacket on my shoulders, and the crowd whistles.

Johnny is in the audience, I think to myself. Jealous Johnny

I smile, and return to the rest of the group, and prepare for the storm after the game...

•••

We won our game, 35-12. The whole team was celebrating. I return the jacket to Ted, and hurry off before he can talk to me. I find the boys at the top of the stairs, but no Johnny.

"Well, he's pissed." Lucky says, bluntly.

"I knew he would be, I didn't want to." I tell them

"Go tell 'im, he said he was goin' to the parkin' lot" Peanut tells me, gesturing in that direction. "We're headin' to Coventry."

"I'll meet you guys there." I rush off, and hope I can apologize quickly.

I run through the shop to arrive to the parking lot, to begins to rain while I pass the garages. Just great. I see Johnny, jacket and hair glistening in the rain.

"I'm sorry, Mandy set it up," I begin, "I knew you'd be mad as soon as I saw him, I didn't even know."

He slowly turns around. God. The rain drips down his face, and accentuates his jaw and cheekbones. If he wasn't mad, I'd kiss him right then and here.

"It wasn't that. It's wasn't you. It was everyone else" He says. "How they can cringe at you and me but cheer at you and him. How they hate me with you but not him. How i don't suit you."

His eyes soften, and he comes closer.

"How I don't think I deserve you. The rich cheerleader with the poor greaser."

"Don't say that, you deserve the whole Earth, Johnny."

"I may deserved the Earth, babe, but you're the Sun."

He wraps his arms around my waist. I touch his face, and run my hands agains his face. My hair and uniform are wet, I already feel it. But I love the way he looks in the rain.

"If you weren't upset right now, I don't think I could resist you." I tell him, because it's quite honest. He takes my hand, and rushes off.

"Come on babe, it's New Coventry time."

•••

The boys begin to file out of the room one by one. Johnny and I plan to sleep here, since the bed is available. I go to the bathroom once it's just Peanut, Norton, and Johnny. I take off my makeup and change into a sweatshirt and shorts. The boys are gone by the time I leave.

"You know, I never thought it'd be hot to see you flip around. But those shorts did go up a couple of times, so I was wrong." He says, slightly intoxicated, as he changes his clothes.

He sleeps shirtless with sweats, which I don't mind.

I sit on the bed, and bring my knees to my chest. He comes next to me, and puts his hand on my face. He begins to do the neck thing, and doesn't hold back.

"Johnny." I meant to whine, but the sound came out a little different then I had anticipated.

This sound seems to excite him, and he pushes my legs down and brings his body closer to mine.

He puts his lips on mine, and things begin to grow more and more intense. It isn't until our chests our both bare, that I stop him.

"I can't, Johnny" I say, flipping over.

He frowns, but returns my sweatshirt and turns the lights off.

"I understand, Ria, goodnight."