9

Maria

I woke up to the sound of a loud ringing bell. That's weird. I usually wake up to my alarm in the mornings. Ouch. My back is kind of sore. Wait. I look up and am greeted with the Johnny's sleeping face. He looks so peaceful when he's sleeping. I almost wish I could always just watch him sleep. Then, he just starts to shift. He's waking up.

"Hi Johnny." I say, as his eyes open.

"Hey beauty. Did we both fall asleep here?" He asks.

"Unless this is a dream, yes we did. I woke up in your arms."

"Geez, Ria. I've only known you a couple of days and you're already falling asleep in my arms." He jokes with his usual smirk on his face.

"Oh whatever, Johnny. You enjoyed it. Especially since I'm so little. I'm like a teddy bear." I say, trying to be cute. He just looked at me and chuckled, knowing how hard I was trying.

"I'm guessing you're trying out for cheerleading. You seem like the kinda girl who would be into that stuff." He asks as he starts to get up. When he's up, he reaches his hand out so he can help me get up as well.

"What do you mean?" I say, grabbing his hand. Whoa his hands are big. He pulls slightly and I am able to stand. Gosh I'm short (the above picture is their height difference.)

"I don't know. You're little and you're friends with those preps so I just expect you to be a cheerleader."

"Well I was honesty unaware of the cheerleading tryouts. Maybe I'll do it. What would you think if I was a cheerleader?"

"Well I've never been into a cheerleader, so It can be a new experience for me."

"Well I've never been into a leader of one of the primary groups at a school and so I'm already having a new experience."

"You're like Derby's childhood friend. And I hate Derby. But I really like you. It's weird." He tells me, wrapping his arms around me.

"You really like me?"

"Yeah. I do." We just stand there in this exchange of staring with each other and I'm just in awe. This boy likes me. This attractive, tall boy likes a short, annoying girl. Wow.

"Wait! I just remembered that I have class! Crap!" I say, separating from him. I need to go to gym class!

"I'll take you. You're new. You can say you got lost. Where are needing to go?" He says, fixing his hair.

"Gym class. Do I look okay?" I ask, realizing I fell asleep with makeup on after crying.

"You look beautiful. Like Always." He says, opening the door, "let's go."

We walk together to the gym where we are greeted with a bunch of guys wrestling each other and the girls cheering for them. It doesn't look like there's a teacher anywhere in sight.

"Isn't there a teacher for this class?" I say, as he leads me to the locker rooms.

"No, he got fired last year for being such a pervert. I'm glad he's gone now that you're here. You won't have an incident like Mandy did."

"What happened to Mandy?" I ask, stopping at the bottom of the stairs.

"Well all these pictures of her were everywhere in the school. She was naked, or barely dressed and she didn't know the pictures were being taken. Everyone saw them. Luckily, Jimmy painted over them, but she hasn't fully regained her respect yet." He says, telling me this awful story.

"Wow. That poor girl." I say. "Well I better get changed into my gym clothes. Thank you Johnny."

"Don't sweat it. I think I'm going to bounce. I have places I need to be. I'll see you later. Bye gorgeous." He says, walking away.

"Bye."

•••

After class, Mandy, the head cheerleader talks to us.

"So everyone besides me needs to tryout for cheerleading again. It used to be everyone but then Burton got fired and we need at least one kind of coach. So I'm going to teach you the routine and then we'll do individual stuff. Let's do this!" She says, energetically.

We learned a simple routine and performed it for her. I made sure I smiled to kind of put a cheerleader face on.

"Okay! Now some individual stuff. I'm going to ask all of you to step out. First up is Maria Hernandez! Let's do this."

Everyone walks out and I'm the only one in the room.

"Can you do any tricks?" She's asks me, inspecting me.

"Basic tumbling tricks. Like cartwheels, back handsprings, and aerials."

"Aerials? Show me." I do my best aerial for her. "Impressive. You'd be a good flyer. Considering your size. We'll be in touch." She says, smiling.

"Thank you." I say, walking out with a smile. Good job Maria. You did good.