Chapter 22

Gracestar sat in the leader den, facing the back wall, paranoid as she tapped her tail on the flat grassy earth below. A sandy tom padded into the den slowly as he meowed softly "I'm here Gracestar..."

Gracestar looked over her shoulder and saw her nephew sitting down behind her. She looked at him a little angry as she meowed "You embarrassed the entire Brightclan when you spoke out last night..."

The tom lowered his ears as he mewed back "I know, Gracestar...but Greystar was the one who killed-"

Gracestar spun around to face the tom and cut him off "Brightmoon...I know Sunstreak...do you not think I know that?"

Sunstreak hesitated as he shifted his paws "He killed my mother, and he started talking fox dung about our clan!"

Gracestar stood to her paws with a hint of glow in her eyes from the sun "When he killed Brightmoon, you didn't just loose your mother...I also lost a sister."

Sunstreak looked away sympathetically as his heart seemed to sink lower into his chest. Gracestar took a step closer to him and tried to meet his gaze "Before she died...I made her a promise I would raise you as my own son...and I did."

Sunstreak looked back up at her with his tail lying flat on the ground. Gracestar finished softly "I just don't want to loose you to from picking a useless fight with another clan."

Sunstreak shot back quickly "You're not going to loose me, Gracestar..."

Gracestar sighed as she looked into Sunstreak's eyes "You have your mother's spirit."

Sunstreak smiled a little at Gracestar's remark, as he saw a white and grey she-cat poke her head in.

Gracestar dipped her head as she meowed "You're dismissed."

Sunstreak simply nodded as he stood to his paws and spun around to leave the den. Gracestar asked before he left "If you want to clear your head...you could help Dawnmist collect herbs?"

Sunstreak just sighed and nodded "Yeah...sure." As he made his way out of the Leader's den and towards the Medicine den, where a light brown she-cat was sitting.

Gracestar watched him go sadly, as the white and grey she-cat with blue eyes entered her den and dipped her head. "Greetings Gracestar...is this a bad time?"

Gracestar watched Sunstreak enter the Medicine den then she looked back at the white and grey she-cat "Your my deputy, Featherflight. It's never a bad time when you enter my presence."

Featherflight smiled a little as she asked looking back towards the clan "Do you want me to send out a border patrol now? There have been rumors of the rogues growing nearer towards our territory."

Gracestar nodded as she replied "Go ahead. If Dawnmist doesn't need Sunstreak's help, could you take him with you?"

Featherflight dipped her head and closed her eyes "Of course." She spun around and padded out of the den as she began calling cat's names to join the patrol.

~*~
The day went by quickly as it soon turned to night, amd the entire Brightclan began making their way into their dens. Sunstreak waited in the warrior den until everyone was sound asleep except for the two guards out front. I need to get past them somehow...

Sunstreak quietly crept out of the warrior den as he saw a twig lying down on the ground. He picked it up and threw it across the camp until it landed loudly on the other side.

Right as both the guards were about to turn around, Sunstreak leapt behind the nursery den and looped around behind it, as it edged closer and closer to the exit, until he was right beside it, still hidden.