Chapter 12: Trouble

When I hear the scream of an alarm, my eyes pop open. I roll over onto my back, ready to reach over and turn it off, when I see someone else reach for it and shut it off, crawling back into bed with a grunt, and burying their face into their pillow. It took me a moment to remember where I was, and who I was with. I sat up in the bed and looked down at the head of messy, brown hair. I smile and lean down to kiss Viola's head before stepping out of bed and into the living room. 

I headed into the kitchen, popping open the fridge, illuminating the dark kitchen. I pick up the pitcher of ice cold water and lay it on the counter. I went into the cupboards, searching for a cup. And when I closed the wooden door, I jumped back and gasped so loudly that I dropped the cup onto the floor. Luckily, it was plastic.

Red Knight stood there, leaning against the counter, shirtless and only in sweatpants. His blonde hair is messy and there is a sleepy look on his face. But he also appeared curious, and almost suspicious of me. 

"Hey, aren't you that Jackson girl?" He asks me, his voice is scratchy. 

"Uh, yeah," I say, picking up the cup that had fallen to the floor and laid it down on the counter next to the pitcher. 

"What are you doin' here?" He asked me, as he rummaged through the cabinets himself. He laid down a box of cereal down and turned his muscly back to me. 

"Just spending the night," I say. 

He looked over his shoulder at me, scanning me up and down. He must have seen me wearing Viola's clothes as a sign we did something, because he arched his eyebrow. 

"No, no!" I said, quickly, raising my hands. "We didn't... do that. We just slept."

He nodded his head, though he didn't appear to have believed me. I can't say I would either. "So are you treating her right?"

"Huh?"

"Viola," he said, without looking at me this time. He just poured himself a bowl of cereal. 

"I'd never treat her wrongly."

"Good," he turned back around to me and I could see the seriousness on his face. "She's my best friend. And she's been through hell and back. So if you hurt her," he walked up to me, placing his finger to my chest, "I'll make sure you'll go through worse."

"Edge."

We both turned and looked over the marble island in the center of the kitchen. Viola was standing there, in her T-shirt and sweats. She had the same sleepy look on her face. She was staring at her friend, with a warning look upon her face. 

"Just making conversation, Vi," he said, and turned back to his bowl of cereal. 

She sighed as she opened up the fridge and took out a carton of orange juice. "Try to be nice, will ya?"

"I'm nice," he held up his hands in surrender. "An angel." And with that, he walked out of the room, only with his dry bowl of cereal and no shirt on. 

Viola unfolded the tab on the orange juice and said, "I'm sorry about that. He's over protective sometimes."

I shook my head with a little smile. "No. I like him." 

She smiled back and took a drink from the carton. "So what's the plan today, captain?"

"What?"

She chuckles as she sits down at a stood in front of the counter. "Well, cap, I'm pretty sure we have stuff we have to do involving a prophecy...? Any of that ring a bell?"

I blinked in surprise. "I was gonna figure it out on my own..."

She frowns. "Not happening, Riley. We're a team. We have to figure this out together."