Chapter 7: The Surface

With the shield in my left hand, Pereus in my right, and wolves on my heels, we sprinted for the only exit we saw. Which was back. As we ran further into the darkness, I could hear Viola and Adelene behind me arguing.

"We can't leave yet! They know where the Darkness is!" Adelene said, through loud pants.

"We don't have a choice, in case you haven't noticed, they are chasing us, with the intent to, you know, kill!" Viola barked back, using one of her swords to swing at the dog nipping at her ankles.

"You two didn't come all this way for nothing," Adelene responded, as we made a turn and sprinted down a stairwell. "We can't leave this place with nothing."

We spotted a doorway at the end of the hall, and we immediately zeroed in on it. Brandon threw it open with all of his might and we sprinted inside the room, slamming the door shut behind us. It was dark in the room, but eventually, the Vampiric vision I had adapted and I could see the door trembling and shaking, with the sounds of wolves howling and barking loudly on the other side. The door wouldn't hold long.

The rest of the room was vacant. With nothing in the room except debris of the wall and ceiling caving in, and more bones. It was just like the rest of the place. All abandoned and forgotten, left to decay.

Adelene slipped to the floor, chest heaving, hair in her face. "Cani stupidi."

Brandon's back was pressed to the door as it trembled and shook. His glasses had a crack in one lens, his forehead was moist with sweat. I could feel his frantic state because of the Scudo di Aura.

Then I felt a sudden burst of anger behind me. And I didn't need the shield to feel it.

Viola marched toward Brandon, grabbing at his hoodie and slamming him against the already shaking door. "You bastard!"

"Viola--" I began, but Brandon himself cut me off.

"No, it's okay," Brandon held out his hand to me. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to betray you guys, honest."

"Really? Because the whole time, you seemed to really be interested in bringing us to your pack." Viola only seemed to get angrier with every passing second. I could see her aura going nuts in the sheilds surface. "So what now? You gonna turn us over?"

"No!" He snapped and it was the first time I could hear the wolf in him appear in his voice. His eyes shut momentarily, then reopened again. "No, I don't. My Mom dropped me off here. With the shield. The only reason I'm considered the leader is because of that damn hunk of metal. It's a curse. I don't want to be here anymore."

"Viola," I placed my hand on her arm and I could feel her anger and negativity leave her body. She released Brandon and stepped away, trailing her eyes at him and then turning to me. "What do we do? We're stuck in a confined room, with these things ready to beat down the door."

I sighed and looked to Brandon. "Brandon, you're their leader, can't you say something?"

"I told you, I'm only leader because of the shield, I don't hold any alpha over them. They do what they want. Not to mention, I'm considered a traitor now because I'm helping you guys."

Viola frowned. "I wasn't under the impression you were helping."

I squeezed her arm as a reminder and said, "What do you mean you're helping us?"

He sighed, his whole body shaking with the tremors in the door. "I know where the Darkness is. I can take you there."

The door cracked and the wood chipped. Brandon jumped away, staring at the crack in the door. Adelene hopped to her feet. "I do not know if we will make it back to the surface to get to the Darkness."