Chapter 7 - Dinner and letting slip

Turns out you weren't the only one nervous about tonight. Sherlock was too, and that was evident by how he was avoiding you compulsively all day, You'd never seen him like this. You didn't like it, why was he so nervous about a case anyway? What you didn't understand though was why Sherlock wanted you to come with him, you didn't really see why you needed to come along at all. You didn't have any deductions skills, that you knew of (something surprising could happen, you never know), and you hadn't been all that pleasant towards you roommate. Seeing as you too had been avoiding him, it hadn't been a very nice experience for either of you. He hand#t been that pleasant either to be perfectly honest but that was beside the point. Perhaps it wasn't even a case, maybe he just didn't want to be third wheeling with John and Mary. But then wouldn't that class as you both butting in on their date? Wait, what if there was no case at all?! What if this was a double date?!...Nah! What were you thinking? Why would Sherlock would never have an interest in you, you said so yourself before. He could never have an interest in someone like you.

Especially after you being an absolute idiot just before you were supposed to get ready for the dinner. You were in your room, deciding which dress to wear (turns out you owned more than even you thought you had, let alone Sherlock's estimation: none.) when you heard voices, well more exactly Sherlock's voice,but it sounded as if he were on the phone talking to someone. You decided to have a peak out of your room and ask him why he was talking so urgently. He did sound stressed. But something stopped you, you weren't too sure. maybe it was the fact that he had his back to you, or maybe it was the now hushed tone of his voice which wasn't like before. It must have been one of those factors but you didn't ask him, your instincts turned on and you slunk into the shadows.

"Yes John she doesn't know I'm sure, I told her it was a case. What do you mean that isn't moral?" What? What on earth did he mean by that? His morals or...what? You heard muffling on the other end of the line, it must be John speaking. You shuffled down the corridor a little more, just so you could get a better look. His back was still turned, that was a small relief for you but you still didn't understand what he was on about, was it about tonight?

"No John, I'm just going to observe her tonight that's all, of course I have a case but I felt that it would be best for her to accompany me," pause, "You know? Killing two birds with one stone?" another pause, "Look I solve the case and see if she's up to the job." More mumbling on the end of the line and then, "you know what job I'm talking about, don't be so stupid." And with that he put the phone down.

Deep breaths, deep breaths. This was odd. Your heart was fluttering and those goddamn butterflies were back in your stomach and seemed to be determined on not leaving this time. Why wouldn't they just do what they were told? Damn emotions. You decided to creep back to your room quickly and quietly and think through what you'd just overheard. What you didn't see coming though was the bump in the carpet that ultimately caused you a lot of embarrassment. You tripped, fell flat on your face and unfortunately drew the attention of the one person you didn't want to notice you. So much for your instincts.

"_____? Is that you? Are you okay?" Thank god you weren't wearing a skirt that day.

"Yeah I'm fine," you said, groaning slightly as you tried to sit up, you had seemed to have twisted your ankle. Not badly, which was good, but it still hurt. It should recover soon though.

"What are you doing out here anyway? I thought you were getting ready?" he looked confused as you brushed yourself off and turned to look up at him.

"I was getting myself a drink but decided I didn't need it as I heard you talking on the phone. It sounded quite important so I thought it best not for me to interrupt," you said, holding your chin up to him as if you'd done nothing wrong. It was mostly so he wouldn't suspect anything of you. You were sure the body language would help.