Chapter 13: The Masked Man

Start from the beginning

"Let's quickly head in, Ella is waiting for us at the doors." Iris quickly ushers us to the room that the secret event is being held. A lady in her late 20s wearing a shimmery light green dress that almost reached the floor, was at the door. "There you are!" She exclaims at us. Her blonde hair was in a bun with some strands hanging, everything held together in a silver leaf hair clip. Her silver heels clicked as she walked over to us and led us to registration.

"Ella! So nice to see you again!" The man holding a clipboard greets her. "And who are these children?" Our eyes twitched in irritation, holding back from saying anything. "Jordon! These are my nieces and nephew! They'll be joining the event during their short stay here." She beams her pearly whites at him. "A visit to their aunt? How nice, please enjoy the party." Despite Jordon's tone his eyes stared us down, we smiled forcefully as we walk into the open doors.

Violin music was playing and several waiters walked around with trays of wine and champagne. One approaches us and Ella takes a champagne glass. "Anything for these young ladies and lad?" He politely asks her with his head slightly bowed. Iris mouths a 'no' to Ella behind the waiter's back. "No thank you but thank you for asking." She tells him, the waiter bows again before going back to walking his rounds. "Did you get it?" Takahiro asks Iris. "Yep." She holds up a white card with the hotel's name and logo on it. It had a red yarn attached and along it was the word printed 'Staff'. She quickly slips it into her pocket.

"Food table." Katherine points out to us and we follow her gaze. At the end of the table was a fruit punch bowl. But what caught our attention was the men in white masks around it. "Henchmen of the Masked Man. That means he must be here." Katherine says. "And I believe that is him." Takahiro points towards the seating area. A man in a gold mask was seated and talking to ladies that were surrounding him. "The info we got was accurate. I'll go ahead with Jennifer, you guys try the henchmen." Iris motions Jennifer to follow her and the 3 of us including Ella make our way towards the food table.

JENNIFER/OO9 POV

I followed Iris as we headed towards the Masked Man. She hands me a black mask and she puts on a white one, they were not like the ones the Masked Man uses. It was as if they were made of vines. "Well if it isn't my least favorite people in the world." The Masked Man declares as he spotted us.

"Ladies." He motions for the others to move out of the way as Iris and I stopped in front of him. "We need a few words." Iris smiles smugly at him and he dismisses the ladies whom were muttering words of disapproval and didn't wish to leave. "Beat it." I say in a deadly tone and glared at them with my evil eye. They shut their lips and quickly shuffled away with their gaze on the ground.

I sat down next to Iris and we faced the Masked Man. "So," he adjusts in his seat, "What can I do for you?" I glance at Iris and she exchanges the gesture. I pull out a piece of folded paper and slid it across the table. He catches it and opens it up to see the contents. "We're finding a couple of people this time. Know these troublemakers?" Iris' eyes don't leave him as he scans the paper. "Maybe if you, I don't know, give me a little something to jot my memory?" He smirks. Iris snaps her fingers and a waiter appears, "One whisky." The waiter looked taken aback, "But miss you are unde-" Iris turns to glare at him, "One whisky," she repeats but with more threat in her voice. The waiter pales and shakes his head and quickly walks to get her order, "Make it a bottle." Iris shouts after him. She turns back to the Masked Man, "Now talk."

He chuckles before reading the paper, "The Chris Twins huh? They have been scoring a lot of loot lately. Ah the Johnson Brothers, such fools they were." Iris raises her brow, "They're dead?" The Masked Man shakes his head, "Oh not at all. But I have encountered them. They tried to..." He trials off, thinking of what word to use, "let's say, negotiate with me. They're quite the persuaders." Iris smirks, "Always the dealer eh?" He chuckles and continues looking at the paper. "As long as it's money, it's possible."