Epilogue

His palms were clammy and no matter how many times he clenched his fists he couldn't stop the slight tremor that ran through his arms. He could hear the whispered murmurs of the crowd behind him, but he kept his eyes fixed on a point approximately six feet in front of him, just above the small balding bureaucrat in front of him. He felt a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Just breath."

"I… I'm fine. I just don't know what's going to happen."

"Yes you do. She's going to walk through that door, bond herself to you and then control your life from now on. Not that she didn't already."

"You and her both."

"Hey, I just sign your paycheck, Kaidan. And keep your record clean. She decides what colour the nursery is going to be."

Major Alenko glanced at his best man. Shepard grinned back at him, then gave him a reassuring wink. Kaidan managed to exhale a shuddering breath, "Thanks. No pressure."

"Hey, it was you that wanted to make an honest woman of her. Now relax. I'm going to make sure the ushers haven't done anything to upset the delicate political balance of the galaxy by sitting the Hanar next to a Krogan or something."

"Yeah… I think I saw grunt try to eat a program…"

"Well, if your fiance will insist on the full bells and whistles wedding."

Shepard gave Kaidan another reassuring pat and turned to walk down the aisle, checking the guests. It was quite the turn-out. Not just close friends, but politicians and even the odd journalist - a big society wedding. The Citadel's main registry office was packed. He paused and bent down to talk to Shala'Raan, Tali's aunt, who was sat with the Quarian contingent.

"Good view Shala?"

The Quarian woman smiled at him through her clear breather-mask - the progress made with their immune systems meant that full environment suits were no longer necessary, but they still needed breathers to prevent infection by inhalation. The "revelation of the Quarians", it had been called. Some still wore the full suits, still nervous, but progress was being made. They could only go fully free back on Rannoch and even then only in certain areas. It was a start.

"Wonderful, Admiral. Quite the turnout."

"Well, Kaidan has a lot of pull these days. Lots of people who owe him. And a lot of people who want to see him happy. This is a big event. Got to have all you big-wigs here!"

Shala frowned at the expression, but smiled, "Ah, another idiom. Tali has yet to give me the full course. She picks them up quickly. Mind you, Councillor Descartes has been most enlightening as a cultural ambassador - the Geth do tend to learn rather quickly."

Whilst he wanted to avoid politics, especially today, Shepard felt he had to ask, "I read the reports, I get the official picture. How are things now though?"

Shala cocked her head and shrugged, "Things will be tense for a while to come. But the… incident with Daro'Xen showed us that the Geth are more magnanimous and analytical than we thought. Again we misjudge. They do not judge the race by the actions of a few. We do not want to repeat the mistakes of our ancestors. And neither do they. We live and learn," she quirked a look at Shepard, flashing another smile, "And Councillor Descartes has been happy to help. She passed me a copy of recovered Quarian music data, found on one of our old Colonies. We make small steps, but me move forwards."

"Good to hear. I trust your guests are comfortable. We have laid on purified food for the reception afterwards."

"Ah yes, the ceremony feast. Amazing how in all cultures there are always similarities. My thanks, Admiral. Now, you should attend to the other guests. Favouritism to an aunt-in-law will not do."