Chapter 11 - Closure

"Was that wise?"

"Was talking working?" 

"Hey, I was getting through…"

"She's in denial. She's an engineer: she needs a problem with solid aspects that she can disassemble and reassemble." Garrus flexed his mandibles as the pair pounded along at a near sprint.

"So what, we traumatise her even more?" kasumi was having a hard time speaking and running.

"No, we stop the self-pitying funk she's got into."

""Funk"? Where did you get that one from?"

"Oh, one of your old vids…"

"Wow, you've really taken to the whole human culture."

"Like you mind…"

"Point, now we should hurry, she's a damn fast mover."

The Vakarians sprinted along the ward access corridor, a figure in purple a few metres ahead. She moved with purpose, dodging easily amongst the crowd. They emerged on the Presidium, heading straight for the Citadel tower. Garrus looked down at his omni tool and blanched, "Oh hell. She just downloaded all the files."

"What?!"

"She… she must have bypassed and gone straight for the secure files…"

"We better speed up!"

They saw Tali enter the elevator, saw the doors shut and watched it rise. They stumbled to a halt, panting. Garrus swore, shaking his head, "Well, either she's gone to tip off the current boyfriend…"

"Or we're going to have to explain to the Council why they're one short."

Jin'Draxen sat at his desk, trying to read through reports. His eyes wouldn't focus. His skin felt tight. C-Sec had just informed him, as a courtesy, that Admiral Daro'Xen had been detained at the dock. The Moreh had been impounded under spectre authority. He had wanted to protest, to start trouble.

But he knew that it would be a bad idea. For all his preening, he had that streak of self preservation. One of the Councillors had queried why he had not lodged a protest and whether he needed reminding of procedures. It had been the damn Turian. The man had been smirking he was sure of it. Patronising bosh'tet.

The door to his office slid open. He looked up and managed a smile, possessive and victorious. Here, he at least, he had a consolation prize.

A shotgun planted against your visor has a way of redefining the world, however. He swallowed.

"You scheming little worm. What the hell were you thinking?"

"Admiral Tali'Zorah. I… what is the meaning of this… We are to be marr-"

"Like hell we are. I have had a really really bad day. And maybe I can make it better."

The shotgun pressed a little closer. Jin swallowed.

"Please… please don't be angry… he'll kill me."

"He will? You mean…. Shepard?"

"He said to keep you happy. To keep you smiling! Please! He said… he said he would hurt me."

Tali blinked. She had slapped him. She had pushed him away. Screamed. Tried… and he was still fighting battles for her. She rubbed the side of her mask with her free hand.

Dammit.

Damn him. But thank Keelah for him. Oh she was an idiot.

She focused back on Jin, "You used me. You and Xen. You took what I made for the good of our people. And you twisted it. And then you made a big mistake: you tried to kill him."