Chapter XXVI: Adopted

Start from the beginning

You laughed with him and turned towards him. "So Cloud is in the army?"

Noctis suddenly frowned. "Yeah. He's only back for the holiday and that's for like... a week or so. He's leaving a few days before Christmas. Oh! Speaking of which what do you want for Christmas?"

He seemed to be wanting to change the subject, and you decided to ask about Cloud being in the army another time. "They asked the same thing and I don't know."

"They? Oh, you mean the Fair's." Noctis shrugged. "We've talked about our families getting together so you can spend Christmas with the people you're actually comfortable with. I'm sure you've grown attached. I know this whole adoption thing was sudden."

You looked back towards Denzel and you sat beside him on the bed. He curled up on your lap and you proceeded to pet him again. "I'm happy, but I did get attached."

Noctis smirked. "Between you and me, Aerith and Zack would have adopted you in a heartbeat. But they didn't because of the boys."

"Zack said it wouldn't be fair to his boys. I don't get it." You frowned.

Noctis began laughing again and he laughed so much he had to hold his stomach. "Oh goodness {Y/N} you don't know? They wouldn't adopt you because of the same reason my parents were hesitant to adopt you."

"Is there something wrong with me?" You asked.

Noctis seemed to ignore you. "Then they mentioned that they only fostered me. So everything's okay."

"What?"

He turned as if he wanted to avoid the conversation. "I gotta tell mom what I want to eat. Sorry!" He dashed away in a blink of an eye.

You and Denzel exchanged eye contact and you shot him a confused look. He simply yapped before running out of the room to follow his master. You shook your head to get the confusion from your head before you chuckled and went to change your room the way you wanted to.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back at the Fair's house, having dinner together was normal but at the same time, it wasn't. Taking into consideration both Zack and Aerith's jobs sometimes it was hard to have dinner together. The same went for the Strife family; with Cloud being in the army and Noctis being in college. Now that the family is together, everyone sat down at the table and you guys were enjoying the Chinese take out they had given you. You were told it was chicken and rice with some sauce you weren't sure of, but you did enjoy it. You felt a little awkward at first, however, as Noctis was talking about college and you sat there listening but not understanding what 'scholarships' and 'grants' were. You assumed since you were still in high school that you didn't have to worry about it for now.

"Do you want to go to college, {Y/N}?" Tifa suddenly asked.

You didn't like the fact that the house went silent as the family turned to look at you. You barely even knew what college was except for you pay to get educated.

"I-I don't know." You stuttered. "I don't know much about it."

"Noctis can tell you everything there is to know." Tifa assured you. She took a bite of her food and smiled.

"You don't need to know right away, that's fine." Cloud chimed in with his monotonous voice. "As long as you don't do anything illegal we'll support you."

You looked down to your food. Cloud seemed like a guy who's emotionless, but his words made you feel a bit better about the adoption plan. Despite the family not knowing you well, they still were going to support you and help you as you go about your life. You felt better knowing that not only the Fair family was willing to support you. All these wonderful people here to help you, and you never knew about their presence until after Zack had saved you from the monster who claimed to be your father. You looked up to see your new family, who were all staring. But they stared with compassionate eyes; eyes that told you that everything would be okay. You smiled a bit and chowed down on your food.

The sudden change startled you, but it was okay. They were a wonderful family and all of them were very kind towards you. You were lucky to end up having two wonderful families take care of you.

But you knew that Christmas was coming up. How were you going to give them anything? They deserved something from you. But what? You pondered the question as dinner ended and you finished most, but not all of your food. Tifa gladly took your plate and went to place it into a container so she could save it for later. That's when you went back into your room and collapsed on the bed.

What could you give everyone for Christmas with no money?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I know I haven't been updating (Yeah I have habits of either updating a lot or none at all) but that's because I graduated High school! *Add confetti and random noises here* So it's been a little busy for me. But I did it, and I'm done, and I survived. Sorry if this chapter is a little eh, but I wanted to post something before I went on with my busy life and before I went about trying to figure out what an "adult" is.

~Yunru