ALDEN VACKER

GETTING GRADY OFF THE PATH WAS more difficult than he'd expected. But then again, he hadn't known that Sophie and Dex had been in the caves before the storm. And right now, with the caves completely submerged under the angry waves, their chances weren't looking very good. But he'd never tell Grady that. The poor elf was already at his limits. Alden led Grady back into the house and met a frantic Edaline.

"Did you find them?" she asked, looking out the door into the storm.

"No," Alden answered, "but I'm sure they're waiting out the storm with the gnomes," he lied. "No reason to worry."

Edaline didn't relax at all. "But what if they didn't make it out of the cave and the tide caught them and pulled them out to sea? Or what if they were on the path and got pulled out to sea? Can they swim in this kind of storm? Did Dex ever learn to swim? Did Sophie ever learn to swim? Alden, what if they never learned to swim?"

Alden pulled out his Imparter as Edaline continued rattling off questions and worst case scenarios. "Show me Elwin."

"Hello?" Elwin asked as his face appeared.

"Elwin, I'm at Havenfield. We've had a complication, and I'm going to need some sedatives," Alden said quietly. "Can you come right now?"

"Sure. What happened?"

"I'll tell you when you get here."

"Be there in a few minutes. Just let me get my supplies together."

Elwin disappeared and Alden looked back up at his friends. Edaline was pacing back and forth, still talking to herself, and Grady was sitting on their couch, staring vacantly off into space. They were calm—for now.

"Show me Councillor Emery."

"Alden," the Councillor smiled. "What can I do for you today?"

Alden walked into the kitchen so the Ruewens couldn't hear him. "There's been a complication at Havenfield."

"What kind of complication?" Councillor Emery asked, his easy smile disappearing.

"Sophie Foster and Dex Dizznee were in one of the beach caves when a storm started. I haven't been able to perform a thorough sweep of the property yet, but it's not looking good."

"Dear God," Councillor Emery said, rubbing his face with his hand. "I expect you want a team of Goblins to help you search."

"That would be appreciated."

"Of course," Councillor Emery said, but his mind was obviously miles away. "Is there anything else?"

"No," Alden said. All the other problems he could deal with himself.

"Good luck," Councillor Emery told him. Then his haunted face disappeared.

"Show me Della." Alden's wife's beautiful face appeared.

"Alden!" She beamed. "Where are you? You just disappeared."

"Honey, I'm not going to be home in time for dinner." He looked over at Edaline, who was still pacing.

"What's the matter?" Della asked, her smile immediately disappearing.

"I'm with Grady and Edaline," he answered. "There's no reason to worry, but they're going to need me to be here for a while. I'll hail you as soon as I can."

"Okay," Della answered. "I'll save you some dinner. But Alden, be careful. I love you!" She blew him a kiss before the Imparter turned off.

He stood staring at the empty space where his wife's face had been. He was extremely nervous for the children. There was no way they could survive being pulled out to see in this storm. If only he hadn't made Biana become friends with Sophie, and they'd become friends on their own...

No. He needed to think more clearly. Running a hand through his hair to wake himself up, he reminded himself of the dangers of feeling guilt. He was an Emissary for the Council. He needed to be calm and professional even in the face of a crisis.

Alden almost dropped his Imparter as the loud knock echoed through the silent house. "One moment please," he said, crossing the room and opening the door. "Thank the Council. I'm so glad you could come."