Chapter 12 - Bexley

"Tell me a bit about yourself," I say, playing with the hem of my skirt. "Okay. In Kentucky I had two parents and a brother, Tommy. We lived on a little farm and raised a bunch of animals. My parents were always worried about my grades, since they both went to good colleges. But in high school, I just stopped doing my work. I don't really know why. Maybe because they pressured me too much.

"But they weren't having this. They shut me out until I lived up to the child that they wanted. This continued until senior year. When I didn't get into the colleges they wanted, they sent me to live here while I 'Figured out my life'. Whatever. I live with my grandparents now."

"I'm sorry," she says. "It's okay. It's not your fault, it's mine." 

Just then I hear a honk from out the window as a taxi pulls up. "Do you wanna catch that cab?" We both run out the door, but not before I thank the barista. She smiles and waves back. "Have a great day!" Twenty minutes later we are in the car, driving along. 

Until suddenly the car jolts forwards, sending my cheek against the back of the driver's seat. I look up and see that the front of the car is completely ruined, crashed into pieces. We all get out as quickly as possible, and see a family looking scared in the car. The parents are coming towards us, and in the backseat a boy holds his older brother. He has this look of terror on his face, like he just witnessed something awful. I rub my nose, as a tear silently falls down my face. 

And then I find myself crying as well. I feel a wet tear drip down my bruised cheek, seeping into the cuts. I sniffle, trying to control myself, but I can't help but crying. I feel Willie's hands grasp my shoulder and lead me away hurriedly, tipping the cab driver as he ran past.

Together we both run through the streets, his hand slipping from my shoulder into my hand. We run for miles until we reach the place I wanted to. We slip into the alleyway silently, making sure that no one sees us. I peek around the corner, and find that Keo and his friends are long gone. All that's left is a few drops of blood on the concrete. Me and Willie walk down and sit cross-legged facing each other. 

Together we sat and talked. We talked until the sun began to set, and the wind began to blow.