Chapter 1 - Willie

I could tell you that I was happy here. After all, who doesn't want to live dead center in the dirtiest, smelliest city of them all? I could say that I love my school and my friends are wonderful. I could tell you that I'm proud of myself and have lots of hobbies. I could tell you that Grandpa is the nicest man in the world and Grandma doesn't have cancer and I don't miss Tommy. 

But I'd be lying.

I guess I'm overreacting a bit. I've survived until now, haven't I? I know some people have it much worse, and I try to be grateful for all I have. But really, deep down, I know I don't belong here. Does that sound crazy? Probably. But I feel like part of my soul is still back in Littlegnome, back in Kentucky, back with my family. I try not to, but sometimes I miss Thomas. I sometimes think back to his chubby little five year-old face smiling up at me. To his little fingers wrapping around mine, always warm against my palm. I hope he misses me too. I know he does. I miss Mom and Dad scolding us for our endless pranks on one another. Scolding me for not doing my schoolwork.

I miss it all.

But now I'm here. Happy as can be. Sort of. 

I look out the window to the apartment across from us. I can see Mr. Caruthers walking in and over to his medicine cabinet. I wonder if Suzan is in there, too. Probably out with her friends somewhere. I picture back to her blonde hair whipping around, brushing my nose, making me sneeze. She turned around, pure joy in her eyes turned concern. "Oh, are you alright?" I nodded. She flashed me a quick smile, a beautiful smile, before turning and running to catch up with her friends. I remember that pretty clearly. The closest I've ever really been to her. 

I open the window and hear the squeaks of the hinges. It takes me a good five minutes to finally manage to open it all the way. I peek my head out cautiously, careful not to loose balance. Suddenly, a gust of wind hits my face and I squint, nearly falling. I grip the window frame until my knuckles turn white. I let the wind hit me again, this time letting it tousle my hair. I nearly sigh, instead smile. Fresh air feels so good.

I look out and down the alley between our two apartment buildings, and out to the rows and rows more. All the same, but all filled with people leading different lives. Overtop of them, I can see the auburn sun setting below the horizon. I hear the honks, smell the smells, taste the city air. 

"Bill!" I hear, and jump away and back onto my bed. I reach out for a book or something, but when I look up I see Guppy had already creaked open the door. He stares at me, and I smile sheepishly back. "I was just looking-" I start, but am cut off by his sudden movement. He bounds towards me, his old, ripped-up track jacket flying behind him. I coil back as far as possible as he jumps onto the bed with me headfirst. I hear a loud, moaning creak from the bed. I'm surprised it didn't split right in half. "Hey buddy!" He yells, now upright and composed. He's a big guy, Guppy, and I'm surprised he hasn't killed me since we became friends. We've had enough fights. But I always seem to forgive him. Out of fear? I don't really know. 

Probably.

"You ready?" he asks, running his fingers through my already messy hair. 

"For what?" 

"Just follow me," he says, and before I can protest he grabs my hand and begins to pull me towards the door.