The Party (Part 2)

NANCY

Julissa and I got ready as quickly as possible. We took turns doing each other's makeup, since we were so used to slaying each other's looks. Of course, I did hers first. After all, this was her party and she needed to make a big entrance. I took my time blending her foundation in, curling her lashes, winging her liner, plumping her lips and giving her a sweet but subtle blush to her cheeks.

During the entire time, she was unusually quiet. Something was on her mind, I could tell. As I finished curling her hair she turned to me and said, "Your turn."

I obliged and sat, taking a look at my bushy eyebrows in front of the mirror. She started by brushing out my hair. I was scrolling through social media when she yanked the brush down too hard.

"Ouch!" I yelped, grabbing my scalp in pain. "Julissa can you please be more careful?"

"Do you know what Augustus from The Fault In Our Stars said about pain that I really relate to?" she asked, while continuing to aggressively brush my hair.

"Jules!" I cried out, trying to grab her hands.

"Pain demands to be felt," she finished, looking into my eyes through the mirror in front of us. 

She finally let go of my hair and I turned around to look at her with tears of pain in my eyes.

The shock on my face must have registered because she gasped and said, "I'm so sorry Nancy. I don't know what came over me..."

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned. "Should I get Evan?"

"No don't. I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I lied. "Why don't you go put your dress on and I'll finish doing my hair and makeup?"

"Okay," she agreed.

And so she went. I picked up the brush once again and gently untangled my knots. Alarm bells were ringing inside my head. This party hadn't even started yet and I already needed a drink.

****

JULISSA

I ran out of the bathroom as quickly as I could, embarrassed. What just happened in the bathroom with my best friend?

What the heck came over me, I thought, while absentmindedly rubbing my stomach.

One minute I was perfectly fine and the next, I got angry just because she was whispering in the hall with MY boyfriend. Something in my head went off. I saw red. But only for a couple of minutes.

I still can't believe I physically hurt her.

But what were they whispering about? I rummaged around my drawers in search for my pills.

My hand finally wrapped around a small plastic bottle. I popped the cap open and swallowed a pill. Although I already had one before, I decided to have another to help with the nerves and weird behaviour. What difference would it make, right?

Nancy emerged from the bathroom, fully dressed and ready to party.

"You look beautiful," I commented.

She smiled at me in acknowledgment and said, "Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be.

****

EVAN

The music was booming and the food and drinks were flowing. Everyone was having a good time and as expected, it was a full house. There was only one thing missing. My queen Julissa. Where the heck was she?