Chapter 4-Not Bad at All

Every moment in her presence makes my life a little more complete -Unknown

                I watched Avery out of the corner of my eye as I looked through the crates of records. She was at the counter listening to music through her headphones, completely oblivious to the rest of the world, maybe even to the fact that it was pouring outside. I wondered what she was listening to.

                In the past three weeks, I had managed to come in about 8 times. It was bad, I know. I was bad. But I couldn’t help it; something about her drew me closer. I could spend an hour in here just staring at her.

                She was beautiful, no doubt. Her big eyes that were the exact same blue as the sky. Her hair that fell to her face, slightly concealing it. Her soft voice and sweet personality made me want to drop everything I was doing and spend all my time with her. She was so enticing, every second left me wanting more and I couldn’t get her out of my head. It was like an addiction.

                I made my way over to the counter after lingering as long as possible. She pulled her headphones off her ears.

                “You ready?” she asked. I nodded as she picked up one of the records. “Just so you know that one’s not very good.”

                I raised an eyebrow at her. She started speaking frantically. “Not that I’m judging your taste in music or anything. I mean, really I’m no authority. I was just stating my opinion and…I’m sorry.”

                I laughed as she wrung her hands together. “It’s fine, really. I’m not mad. In fact, now I’m glad because I won’t have wasted my money. What would you recommend?”

                She looked down at her lap. “Really I’m no authority.”

                I decided to try a different approach. “Well who are you listening to?”

                “They’re called Parachute.”

                “Mind if I listen in?”

                She gave me a small smile and shook her head no. I’m not even sure if I could call them smiles. Somehow she managed to barely move her lips at all, yet assure you at the same time that she couldn’t be happier. They were delicate and adorable, just like her. Almost-smiles.

                My heart leapt as she leaned across the shimmering glass countertop. I placed my ear next to her, our faces only inches apart. My nose picked up a faint trace of perfume on her neck. Something floral, calming.

                I pulled back as the song ended. “Not bad.”

                She gave me a real smile this time, crinkling her nose a bit, one that lit up her entire face. “Not bad at all.”

                We were quiet for a minute; the only thing that could be heard was the almost deafening sound of raindrops on the rooftop. “Think you can find me their album?” I asked, breaking the silence.

                “Sure.” She shrugged her shoulders as if it was no big deal. I watched her walk over to the alternative section. Her white- blonde hair cascaded down her back against her navy-blue band t-shirt, ending just below her shoulders.

                Just then, there was an enormous clap of thunder that seemed to shake the foundation of the building, followed by a flash of lightening. Avery must have jumped a foot in the air in shock.