Keep me safe in your arms. (a One Direction Fanfic)

I stood in the airport, not really sure which way to go. There were people screaming and running and bumping into me. They were swarming like bees in a nest. It was all too close for Nessa. She barely knew why she was in the airport at all.

*flashback*

“What’s going on?” Nessa said drowsily as she was roused from her bed. She quickly regretted what she said.

“Shut up. You’re going to live with your brother.” Nessa was surprised at this. She never knew she had any siblings. The only family she had ever had was her father and father wasn’t the fitting word Nessa would use to describe him. Monster would be better.

Nessa wanted to ask him what he was talking about and why she was never told she had a brother. Did this mean Nessa had a mom out there or any grandparents? She didn’t though. If Nessa had learned anything in the past 17 years, it was to keep quiet, do what her father said, and under no circumstances ask questions or defy him. Nessa had tried that a few times, she still had the scars.

She was actually glad she didn’t have siblings. She was glad they didn’t have to go through the same hunger-filled nights or neglect that she did on a regular basis. Nessa had considered turning him in, but he had friends that always reminded her that they would find her wherever she went. His horrible friends treated her like dirt for pleasure, always calling her names and occasionally hitting her. Sometimes Nessa’s father would tell them to stop, that he was only allowed to hit her, but others, he would just encourage it.

Nessa walked quickly and quietly down the long hallway following her father, he carried a duffle bag that held Nessas few belongings. Nessa hid her feelings so well by now, she wasn’t sure if she was scared or happy. She had tried for so long to feel nothing, so it would be easier, and once she had finally succeeded, she couldn’t turn them on properly again. Nessa didn’t really care.

She climbed in the car as her father threw the duffle bag at her. She barley caught it before it would’ve hit her face. He roughly put the car in reverse and backed out of the parking lot, to only somewhere Nessa could guess.

She was surprised when they finally reached a small airport. She was expecting something more after the 3 hour car ride. The car ride was quite nice despite the silence, but Nessa kind of enjoyed it. Nessa had never been alone with her father before when he wasn’t degrading her or beating her.

He pushed Nessa inside the airport doors with her bag, flung her the ticket and left Nessa standing there. She swallowed and recovered quickly. Abandonment wasn’t new to her.

Nessa was able to find her gate easily in the cramped airport and was almost too late to be boarded. She made her way through the people and found her window seat. When the plane flew off, Nessa was already asleep.

*End Flashback*

Something flashed in Nessa’s eyes and blinded her momentarily. She was still in the crowd of people, she was trying to make her way over to a secluded girft shop but it wasn’t really working out. Someone shoved her and she fell to the ground, catching herself on her stinging palms she got into the safety of the store. Ever since Nessa had been left in a locked box for a couple days, she had been extremely claustrophobic.

Nessa was confused. Not only did she not know why she was here specifically, she didn’t even know where here was! She contemplated asking the saleslady, but the old women looked grumpy already and with the weird looks and glares she was already giving Nessa, she didn’t want to start anything. Nessa fished out her ticket stub from the plane ride. Nessa was in London. Nessa allowed herself to smile for the first time since she was a child. And honestly, Nessa thought it felt wonderful, like flying. She was finally free of her father and his friends and all the beatings and neglect. Then Nessa was also scared, she had barley seen outside her father’s house, now she was in London, alone. All Nessa's life had been one thing, she wasn’t really sure if the reason she was there was a good thing or a bad thing.

On the back of the ticket were a few words, it read: ‘Niall.  Sunday. Miranda’s café. 12 noon.’