Chapter 8 - The Joust

Start from the beginning

I lie back in the water and run over everything that has happened to me over the past few days; I still can't get my head round it.

I came to the castle after finding Alec the bastard cheating on me, I went into the library to look at the ledgers, I touch one and bam all of a sudden I wake up in Medieval England.

It just doesn't make any sense...how on earth did I get here? And how the bloody hell do I get back home?

Maybe the library is the best place to start but how do I get back to it un-noticed? How much time has passed back home? And is Gracie wondering where the hell I am?

I laze in the water drifting through my imagination until I notice that it's starting to get cold.

Reluctantly stepping out I dry myself as best I can with the woolen shawl that Florence left me, it's rough against my skin but it dries me well enough.

I surprise myself as I realise that I'm beginning to get use to the way of life here; it's kind of nice how simple everything is.

No job, no bills to pay and no jerk ex boyfriend to bring me down.

Plus mostly everyone is friendly and accommodating, Alice and Maxwell excluded.

The stupid arses.

I dress quickly in a modest green day dress that I found in the large oak cupboard in the room I'm in and decide it's time I make my way to the Library and hopefully the way home away from all this madness.

I walk briskly past two chamber maids trying not to attract attention to myself. They pass with no issue and I come to the end of the hallway spotting the stairs down to the lower floors.

I descend silently, stopping on the steep spiral staircase to admire the view through the narrow window; the fields go as far as the eye can see and are covered in a beautiful morning fog that shifts as though it's breathing.

The staircase feels mildly claustrophobic so I continue to descend before approaching the heavy oak door to the Library.

I push it open with all my might and slip quietly inside praying that no one is here.

Luckily the sweeping room is empty and the fires are lit so it's lovely and toasty warm inside.

I proceed cautiously and peer around trying to find some sign of the time machine come journal that somehow brought me here; I'm half expecting to see Rod Taylor and the Morlocks come sashaying through the room before me and I snicker at my imagination.

Stop it Cassie, this situation is not funny.

As it is there are no Morlocks and no sign of the ledger that bought me here – it's a long expansive room and I spend what feels like a long time scanning the shelves and various small tables that line the edges...but nothing.

Nothing looks the same as when I was at home in my own time and the thought depresses me, I'm so far away from everyone I love and with no sure fire way of getting back to them.

Eventually I come to the realisation that it's just not here and slump down into the nearest chair in defeat. I'm going to have to rethink everything; maybe if I can figure out why I'm here, the solution to my problem will show itself. I must be here for a reason, right?
-----------------------
I stumble down the last set of steps and through the main entrance gate not really knowing where I'm going but following the crowd and hoping for the best.

It's a warm spring morning outside and everyone seems to be in good spirits despite the monstrous hangover they must all have from the feast the night before.