“We keep having this same conversation. I say thanks. You say you’re welcome. It’s a bit repetitive.”

He shrugged, examining the interior of his now empty sundae cup.

“You didn’t have to do all of this.”

I thought of all the ways he’d helped over the last week. At the wedding. At the grocery store. At the restaurant. At the drug store. At my apartment.

“I know.” He smiled. “I wanted to.”

I smiled back. It was nice to have someone in my court. Someone like Paul.

A car pulled into the parking lot and I stiffened. A black, canvas-topped Jeep. There weren’t many in Minnesota. And I only knew of one in Mansfield.

Chase.

“We can go,” Paul offered, following my eyes.

I shook my head. “Nah. It’s OK.”

And it was. I could sit there and eat my ice cream and try not to think about the night of his bachelor party and the wedding and the pregnancy that wasn’t.

Chase didn’t see us. He strode toward the shop, texting as he walked. I ate my sundae and kept my eyes on the entrance. He emerged a few minutes later, an ice cream cake in his hands. He shoved his phone in his pocket, looked around, locked his eyes on me.

And headed our way.

“Hey.” He wore sunglasses so I didn’t know who he was greeting.

Paul answered. “What’s up?”

Chase looked at me, then back at Paul. “I could ask the same thing.”

“Just grabbing a quick bite,” Paul answered. “Meg and I are going out tonight. Later.”

Meg. The girl from the restaurant who traded her kitchen exit access for a drink date. I wasn’t sure why, but I was disappointed.

Chase nodded. “Huh. OK.” He shifted the box from hand to hand and moved his gaze to me. “I was kinda hoping I could talk to you.”

I set my spoon down. “Me?”

He nodded.

Paul cleared his throat. “I’m gonna run to the bathroom.” He hesitated. “Unless you want me to wait.”

I shook my head. “No. Go ahead. It’s fine.”

Chase and I watched as Paul walked toward the store and disappeared through the double doors.